Back from the Dead - '88 325i Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from the Dead - '88 325i Convertible

So, this is my '88 325i Convertible "barn find". I parked it in this barn 10 years ago... and now I "found" it.

It was my first car. I held onto it because I've always planned to do more with it, and maybe now is a good time. Discovering this forum and a couple others recently made me realize what a dedicated community there is for the e30 now. Loads of tech write-ups, diy guides, swap guides, and lots of cheap parts. Awesome. That just wasn't there when I parked this car 10 years ago.

I'm not sure what direction I want to take this project yet, but it will find it's way. Warning: this will be a SLOW build, time and money being the biggest constraints (aren't they always). That said, it's not a car I plan to drive daily again. This will be the first time I've had a dedicated "project car", which I'm excited about.

Step one will be to get her out of this barn:

Subscribed. Always good to see a 'vert coming back.
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

In for step 1

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Welcome to the community!

Can't wait to see where you take the build.

Is that a zinnoberrot car?
        sigpic
        Currently without an e30. Will probably die soon.

Comment

Finding something in your own barn is awesome! BTW, that looks more like a hangar than a barn with those neat doors.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys! It is a Zinnoberrot car. I had to check the sticker... always just called it "red" before haha.

So, a little update... I aired up the tires, drained the old gas, put the battery on a charger overnight. Came back next day and installed the battery. Looks like the mice have made themselves at home. Check out the battery tray:

I put some fresh gas in it, jumped the battery (it needed a little help), turned the key and... it turned over! and turned over... and turned over... didn't start.

I've got power at the fuel pump, but it's not pumping. Does anyone know what 10 year old gas turns into? If you answered varnish, you'd be right, and you'd be smarter than I was at 18 when I parked this car with a half tank of gas left in it. So here is the fuel pump:

I tried a lot of things to break the pump loose, some methods probably ill-advised. Long story short, it never pumped another drop of fuel, but it did put out a little plume of smoke as it died.

The fuel level sender looked just as bad, but at least for now it's working, and nothing a little carb cleaner and a toothbrush couldn't fix:

Now I'm creeping the forums for a fuel pump. Will update once I've got one. I'd really like to drive the old girl out of this barn, but I'll drag her if I have to.

Comment

Fuel pump arrived yesterday. Thanks Eric (packratbimmer)! I installed it and a new fuel filter, and she started right up. First time in 10 years :D. Amazing how resilient this car is. Drove it right out of the barn:

Of course, I didn't drive far. It limped to the house, about 200 yds away. Idling low, threatening to die every time I gave it a little gas, brakes practically non-responsive, and I got to the backyard and shut it off just as the temp needle hit red. There's a lot to sort out. Gotta start somewhere I guess...

Last registered in 2004

This must be where the mice come and go

Interior is pretty thrashed...

But I've got a crack free dash! (complete with mouse poop)

ODO still works

I guess next step is probably a wash...

Comment

alright, another cinnabar cabrio. Welcome!
                '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

SUB'D. Good luck. Can't wait to see what she looks like when its over.

Comment

Nice..sub'd

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
                    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Any plans for those mats and seats?
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

You can try to clean the leather with steam. Or for now get sear covers and get all the mechanic stuff working.

Comment

Im super siked to see how this goes! Subbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome ! Keep us updated.

Comment

Working...
                            X