New here. :m20 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here. :m20 swap

Eventually panning on doing an m20 swap then turbo. Haven't really done much yet, threw in the megan racing coils and some black leather interior. Started Tucking and deleting in the bay. Currently has the m42 5spd but its unbelievably slow so I bought a parts car with the m20 that has around 200k. I recently got the motor/tranny out on the floor to start cleaning and building.
    Looking for some input on what I should do to the m20 first, head work? get the block cleaned? New clutch? Fly Wheel? Radiator? Thanks.

What are your budget and power goals? Me and a buddy are in the process of swapping a turbo m20 into his 318. I believe you'll need a new radiator, different drive shaft (small guibo iirc), getrag 260 trans, and other miscellaneous things. While the m20 is out of the car, I would recommend putting in new gaskets and seals and cleaning it up a bit. The things I listed are the mandatory things, but the more information you provide, the more input you'll receive. Most guys will recommend arp head studs and an mls gasket, too, if you plan on boosting more than 7-8psi. Look around at other turbo m20 build threads, there are many that would easily be able to answer many of your questions.
    Good luck and have fun!

Comment

clean up the M20 out of the car.
      fit it and get it running and all the gremlins ironed out

THEN look at a turbo conversion and start collecting bits to do it.

M20b25 in standard form isnt fast, they rev well but they're still slow.
      I wouldn't bother with NA upgrades as the dollar for HP will be shithouse.

Aim for a 300hp turbo package and enjoy. You will be bored of the power quickly with factory levels.

Sure it will be easier to do the gasket and studs when the motor is out of the car, but I would rather get the motor running and everything sweet first.
      Just so then you know that any issues with the motor are ones that you haven't caused

Def look at new radiator, hoses, ect.. you dont want to cook an 885 head (which happens easily)

and lastly.. make sure you get an M20 that has the wiring harness and flywheel included. early M20's have a pickup for the crankshaft on the flywheel
      Late ones pickup off the balancer. SO if you have an early one you will need a matched set.. inc the correct gearbox which has the holes for the sensor on the bellhousing.
      Last edited by bangn; 11-30-2014, 11:29 PM.
      Boris - 89 E30 325i
      84- E30 323i

Comment

Working...
      X