Project 'Murica... My 5.0 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project 'Murica... My 5.0 build

So you may be wondering about the title.... we will get there, but first a back story.

I bought this e30 a while back as a fun little project, I intended to turbo the stock engine and drive the piss out of the car. I got side tracked by my other project then (a built bugeye wrx) and never got around to the e30. I worked on it a little here and there but it never got attention. I finally finished the Subaru 2 months ago and started thinking about what to do with the e30, turbo was my first idea, but I decided against that, I just dont like the m20. Then an m30 popped up in my head and I thought, hey look another straight 6 maybe that will be better. Then after researching I decided I didn't want to do that either. Then I thought about a m60, that thought quickly went away. So here we are now...what to do?!

I bought a Foxbody 4.9..... PROJECT 'MURICA! (btw for those who go "the foxbody engine is 5.0", its not! Actual CC is 4942, making it a 4.9 liter)

Yes I know, what the actually F**K right? Well its cheap, makes a little power, and mods are readily available. There's a mounting kit for the e30/4.9 already so I will be using that. There is a plug n play Megasquirt for it, which I will be using. I eventually plan on boosting it.

EDIT: 12/22:
    I have decided that with this build I am not going for all out power, so boost is off the table. I want it to stick out from the crowd, but still be fun. This will be a weekend car/drift car so creature comforts are not necessary. With that being said this car will be over the top.

PLANS:
    tubular front end (make room for steering angle)
    I really want to do some ITB's sticking out the hood (yes much like Ken Block, but I have loved ITB's way before the Hoonicorn, now I just have inspiration.)
    Fully built valve train (to make it un-driveable at low speeds, duh!)
    e85

Thats it for now, I'm sure I'll add stuff, but those are the basic plans.

So to the e30..

The day I bought it.

Then bought these sweet Rial wheels for it:

Then I bought a parts car, which I actually never ended up using parts from :shifty

Rial wheels are on!

The people I hang out with:

Cell phone photoshoot:

Having parents that own a wrap company really pays off! It was Project 'Murica before it was Project 'Murica

Then I got these for it"

Quickly wrapped the faces of them white:

The almost 3 days later I plasti-dipped them black

Then I picked up this beauty as my daily driver:

And how she sits today:

So within the next couple of days I will be pulling the engine and tranny to get ready for the v8. (m20b27 and 5 speed swap will be for sale for those interested, also the Fifteen52 Tarmacs are for sale).
    After I pull the engine its go time! This will not be a fast build by any means of the word fast! I am a college student and I work so if I'm not studying or working I will be working on the car. Thanks for reading! And if you have nothing nice to say, say it anyways! Its entertaining to read! CHEERS!

Also if your interested, follow me on Instagram drake_burgoon
    I will be posting a lot of photos on there that don't end up here.
    Last edited by dburgoon; 12-22-2014, 12:34 PM.
    Check started threads for stuff for sale!

Current:
    '86 325es---5.0 Work in progress
    2002 is300

GOT THE ENGINE TODAY!! Freshly rebuild 5.0 from an 88 for $500! I am going to try and document the prices of everything so people get an idea of how much it could cost. And for those who are scared of this project, I am doing this in my backyard with nothing more then will power and 200 piece mechanics tool set and a few other tools.

Heres the heart!

Got the car in my backyard ready to start work:

Lifted it up and started pulling the front end apart:

And after an hours worth of work this is how she looks.

I have to go to work now so that is all I could get done today, tomorrow I will continue on pulling the m20 out

Current:
    2002 is300

Comment

Didn't get much done today. Just got the engine ready to be pulled out and ordered a few parts. Tomorrow the engine will be out of the car. It sucks only having 2 or 3 hours a day to work on it.

Current:
      2002 is300

Comment

Never seen a 5.0 in an e30 before.
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

This will be good.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Well yesterday was a pretty successful day. I went and picked up an engine stand and a hoist. Put the 5.0 on the engine stand finally and got it out of the back of my truck and pulled the m20! This weekend I will be finishing getting the engine bay all cleared out. I have decided I am going to do the shaved engine bay look, so I am getting it ready for that.

Current:
            2002 is300

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates for anyone who cares. I had surgery on my kidney on the 12th so I'm recovering from that. But today I felt up to working on it a little just to find out that the wiring harness I got with the engine isn't the right harness. I dont know what the harness is out of, but it definitely is not the mustang harness. So now I have to buy a new harness.

I did get some parts in for it though, new brake booster and some parts to start making the tubular front end. Next purchases will have to be the wiring harness and oil pan. I also have decided the route I am going with this build, check OP for details.

Current:
              2002 is300

Comment

Working...
              X