Brock's Alpine/Cardinal M52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brock's Alpine/Cardinal M52 swap

Well I picked up a new project, I couldn't stay away from e30s. I had a a alpine on cardinal 86es that I sold probably about 2 years ago, had a few cars in between and I just picked up another alpine on cardinal car (an 88 this time). I bought the car pretty cheap, it had 90% of the m52 swap done, just needed a few odds and ends. The reason it was so cheap is because the m52 that was in it was trash. I thought this was going to be a quick/cheap swap, just throw a $500 m52 in and be good to go, but things aren't looking good with my "new" motor. I just finished my SpecE46 build, so with that project out of the way I decided to get started on this.

Here is my old es

Getting it out of the trailer after about 2 months after purchasing it

in its garage space

I picked up another m52 that was out of a running car

here are some shots of the interior

Well when I was swapping pans to the e34 pan, I found the lower timing guide in 100 pieces in the pan. So I had to disassemble half the engine to get the timing cover off.

Well since I only had to take the cams out and take off 14 head bolts to do a head gasket I decided to take the head off in preparation for a head gasket.

and.... this is where I am stuck. This is cylinder #5, looks like coolant was sitting for a while in the bore and ate through the cylinder wall. I think this is beyond what a hone can fix. I'm really not wanting to spend the money on oversized pistons and a bore/all other machine shop work.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I'm glad I caught this though instead of running it because I would have been more mad down the road when it's not running 100%. I might try and get another motor, but it's slim pickings in NC. I found a couple motors in Ohio, and might have to drive up and get those.

Sorry to hear that. Since BMW is in South Carolina, don't you think there might me some M52 blocks down there? Nice work, love the cardinal interior.

Comment

I had a hard time finding the bum new motor, took me about a month of searching until someone finally posted one for sale. I search usually within a 300 mile radius and there is still nothing around even now.

Comment

Doing little things while I try and find a new motor

Comment

Unrelated, but how did you like the hankooks? I'm in the market for a new set of 15's.
          sigpic

Comment

Great tire, not really for daily driving though unless you have a lot of money and can replace them often. If you want to daily on them, they are great in the rain and even below 40* where people say summer tires fall off. Just make sure your alignment is 100% spot on including camber, and especially toe, again these tires are expensive. But it's up there for my top 5 track tires.

Comment

Great start. Sorry to hear about the engine, but that interior is minty!
              sigpic

Comment

Bought a running donor car. The engine will be nearly free once I take the rest of the car to the scrap yard. The engine runs really smooth, but I still plan to replace some external gaskets and pretty it up.

Comment

got the engine pulled, now I have to find a way to load this heap onto my trailer and take it to the junk yard

Comment

Engine cleaned and painted. Swapping oil pans, putting on new gaskets, and doing vanos tomorrow.

modifying the brake booster was fairly easy, but cutting/drilling the firewall to relocate the booster has been a huge pain so far.

Comment

What refresh things do you typically do when you swap a motor? I ask because I'm picking up an s52 for my e30 and am not sure what I should do before it goes in. Going to do the cooling stuff but not sure what else should be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, front main seal, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, vanos seals, water pump o-ring/new water pump, thermostat and housing gasket. Really if its an unknown motor I would do the head gasket and all the gaskets associated with that too, but since I know this motor was fine I'm going to hold out on that.

Comment

Cool man thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got the oil pan on, rear main seal changed, new water pump, new thermostat and housing, headers on, and OBDI valve cover on. I also put on my rebuilt vanos unit on from my other engine. Class started today though so things might start to slow down, just when things were getting good.

Comment

That interior is so rad. I need to find a red interior for myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X