Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Zinnoberrot S52 Build. Doing things right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late Zinnoberrot S52 Build. Doing things right.

To all of you that know me, I have built several E30s over the years. I got my first E30 at 16 and have slowly progressed into building better and better cars. I have helped funfgang build his V8 e30 when we were both dumb and 16. But over the years i've been starting to become a perfectionist in my work.

This car I have acquired recently from a friend who started the swap but did not get a chance to finish it. He had already bought some of the parts to do the swap including the s52 and trans. With his lost of interest, I was able to get a car that I plan on building up to my standards.

Here she is in all her beauty. A 1989 Zinno 325i.

Some background on the car:
    The car started its life as a 325i with an m20b25. However, a previous owner had a motor installed at some point in its life. This however was a m20b27 but with all the of the b25 intake pieces. The friend Vinnie I bought it from didnt know much about this besides it having a chipped ecu. It then was bought by Vinnie up in NJ and later moved down with him to MD where he started to work on the swap and pulling the strange m20 hybrid.

The car came with some goodies from my friend including a new set of powdercoated GC coils as well as the s52 and zf trans.

I plan on building this car correctly with replacing everything that needs to be replaced. I bought it because my friend was moving and I REALLY wanted to see the car finished. I just really enjoy working on and building E30s as I have built a couple for myself as well as one for my friends dad and also helped with friends' E30s as well.

My latest car I have built for funfgang's dad which is now owned by Stuart himself. This is when it was still in my possession before I handed it over.

Here is my drift/street/fun car that is still a very big work in progress:

And of course, the rallycross car:

My very first E30. A 318is that I rebuilt the motor in.
    Last edited by shEck3lls0; 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM.
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

So the first thing was getting the motor ready to drop in. I could have easily just got all the parts ready and dropped the engine into the car. But that was too easy. I decided to replace basically every seal on the motor so I started tearing her down. I also wanted to make sure everything was good inside the motor when I decide to sell the car (very possible since I have too many E30s).

Overall the motor looked pretty dang clean with little mileage. I forget the exact mileage on the motor at this moment but will have to go back and look at the vin for the E36 it came out of. Cam wear was also minimal.

I then proceeded to pull the head off. Cylinder walls looked pretty good with good crosshatching but the pistons themselves were a little bit dirty.

I went ahead and took the head to a machine shop to be pressure tested as well as resurfaced and degreased. While the head was at the shop I took the time to clean up the block and pistons fairly well.

Everything checked out on the head so I picked it up from the machine shop and got to installing it.

Cams then went on as well as the vanos I rebuilt. I forgot to get pictures while rebuilding the vanos except for the one below. I used the whole beisans system kit to rebuild it.

All of the seals for this motor had been replaced. I did all of the following while putting the motor together:
    headgasket
    valve cover seals
    low temperature thermostat and new thermostat housing
    new stewart water pump
    oil pan gasket
    oil filter housing seal
    safety wired oil pump nut
    rear and front main seals.
    new temperature sensor and sender
    new oil pressure sensor
    Vanos seals
    oil level sensor seal
    coolant pipe seals

Basically the only things I did not replace were the main and rod bearings as well as the rings as the cylinders had little wear and this is a lower mileage motor.

I will continue this upcoming week as I'll be putting the clutch and transmission on and then dropping the motor in the car. I also have a stash of parts that I have to list out that I ordered awhile ago for this car. As for now, it is 2015 and I hope you all had a good 2014. Happy New Year!
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Great start! Look forward to seeing what you do to it.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X