Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
    Why didn't I think of the remote drain for the block drain bolt any sooner!? Genius idea! You could totally put a kit together and sell it on r3v! Gah, wish I came up with that earlier!
    hahaha it's something I've had in my mind for years literally, draining the block all over the exhaust and garage floor is stupid. The idea of making a kit has also been in my mind. I'll have to see how it holds up and probably figure out a cheaper combination of parts. All the fragola fittings and hose cost me around $70 for one extension setup.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      our cars belong on the track, not the street...

Tell me about it i came out of school to see some kid backing up onto my car with his X5. Ended up replacing the hood and grille. Good thing I got there on time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
        Tell me about it i came out of school to see some kid backing up onto my car with his X5. Ended up replacing the hood and grille. Good thing I got there on time

Yea, this is my constant fear... the situations that are out of my control, but inevitably happen. I don't think I can emotionally handle another incident like this.
        Shadetree30

Comment

Got a lot done this weekend

Finally suffered my monthly minor injury with some bloodshed. Should leave a nice scar. Should've been wearing the leather gloves with the angle grinder...

Finished the last couple spot welds and started going over the edges with the flap disc to get the final finish. Still kinda hard to see what it'll look like finished.

Harvested some sheet metal from the smashed panels

Looking better

CAD templates (anyone watch project binky?)

Boxed in the open sections of the core support. Didn't spedn too much time making it look nice since it'll be covered up. Just going for function here.

Ready for surface prep and primer

Repainted the IS lip with some wurth high build underbody spray - very nice stuff. Also went over the bare metal of the subframe and core support with some SEM rust-seal that was recommended by the automotive paint store I visited last week (getting a quote for all the paint I'll need for the bay and exterior)

Nice texture from the wurth underbody spray

This is what the treated metal looks like after the SEM rust-seal

Some annoying little replacement parts. Both interior lights were pretty nasty and a bit corroded. Aux socket/cigarette lighter was broken

Replacement grill from abraham motorsports

Cleaned up and reorganized the "garage"

Now I think I understand why I couldn't get the hood to line up properly. Take a look at the gap between the ends of the radiator and the core support; it looks like the whole frame of the core support was tweaked.

Using this photo for reference later when it's all finished so I'll have a good before/after comparison

Core support after primer. This should really show the result of all that work. I'm still undecided if it was worth it. I think it'll look cool but it was a lot of unnecessary work to get it to this point. I probably wouldn't do it again.

And this is how I left it last night. Starting to disassemble the front end to install the new core support.

Shadetree30

Comment

love the subframe clearance idea. Definitely wish i modified mine when i had everything out. I might in the future
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
              Yea, this is my constant fear... the situations that are out of my control, but inevitably happen. I don't think I can emotionally handle another incident like this.

I know exactly how you feel seems like once you get it going and all cherry someone has to just ruin everything.

Comment

Got a lot done this weekend

Finally suffered my monthly minor injury with some bloodshed. Should leave a nice scar. Should've been wearing the leather gloves with the angle grinder...

Finished the last couple spot welds and started going over the edges with the flap disc to get the final finish. Still kinda hard to see what it'll look like finished.

Harvested some sheet metal from the smashed panels

Looking better

CAD templates (anyone watch project binky?)

Boxed in the open sections of the core support. Didn't spedn too much time making it look nice since it'll be covered up. Just going for function here.

Ready for surface prep and primer

Repainted the IS lip with some wurth high build underbody spray - very nice stuff. Also went over the bare metal of the subframe and core support with some SEM rust-seal that was recommended by the automotive paint store I visited last week (getting a quote for all the paint I'll need for the bay and exterior)

Nice texture from the wurth underbody spray

This is what the treated metal looks like after the SEM rust-seal

Some annoying little replacement parts. Both interior lights were pretty nasty and a bit corroded. Aux socket/cigarette lighter was broken

Replacement grill from abraham motorsports

Cleaned up and reorganized the "garage"

Now I think I understand why I couldn't get the hood to line up properly. Take a look at the gap between the ends of the radiator and the core support; it looks like the whole frame of the core support was tweaked.

Using this photo for reference later when it's all finished so I'll have a good before/after comparison

Core support after primer. This should really show the result of all that work. I'm still undecided if it was worth it. I think it'll look cool but it was a lot of unnecessary work to get it to this point. I probably wouldn't do it again.

And this is how I left it last night. Starting to disassemble the front end to install the new core support.

But why didn't you just buy a whole new core support and just painted it bronzit

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  love the subframe clearance idea. Definitely wish i modified mine when i had everything out. I might in the future
                  Yea, I wish I had the foresight to have done it from the start, but then again I didn't really have the skill or tools (welder). Definitely worth doing next time you need to drop the subframe.

But why didn't you just buy a whole new core support and just painted it bronzit
                  Because that's too easy and I'm a glutton for punishment.

I actually had (have) 2 core supports. A used one (the one I modded) and a brand new aftermarket one. The oem piece is a little better looking, cleaner, smoother so I wanted to see if I could make it work with the plan I had in my head.
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Yea I get what your saying. When I got hit I went ahead and found an 89 alpine core support with good paint on it and the yellow "Petina" or else having a 2 color bay would of driven me nuts and I am sure your the same way

Comment

Yea I get what your saying. When I got hit I went ahead and found an 89 alpine core support with good paint on it and the yellow "Petina" or else having a 2 color bay would of driven me nuts and I am sure your the same way

Indeed. I mean, I just spent like 15 hours with a welder, dremel, angle grinder, and sand paper smoothing one little edge of a core support... no way in hell my bay will be multicolor when I'm finished.
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Lol CAD templates - I watch project Binky.

Good work! Jealous of your work space.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                          Lol CAD templates - I watch project Binky.
                          that cracked me up when they first mentioned it; I love their build. As much as I want to see it finished, I also hope it's never finished so the videos don't stop

Good work! Jealous of your work space.
                          I gotta say I never expected someone to say that about my glorified car port with a plywood floor, reclaimed railroad ties for a foundation, extension chords supplying electricity and a million moths, spiders, beetles, lizards for daily company but thanks :)

Sidenote: have I ever met you at any local meets? I'd love to check out your build some time
                          Shadetree30

Comment

that cracked me up when they first mentioned it; I love their build. As much as I want to see it finished, I also hope it's never finished so the videos don't stop
                            looooool same. I was lucky enough stumble upon their build when they were half way through it, so I was able to binge watch the episodes because I couldn't get enough of it!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I wish i could get project Binky updates on a weekly basis

-
                              Project
                              Parts for Sale
                              Feedback
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                                looooool same. I was lucky enough stumble upon their build when they were half way through it, so I was able to binge watch the episodes because I couldn't get enough of it!
                                I think I started on episode 2, it's just luck when i remember to check for new episodes. I feel like I hit the lottery each time I see a new one... drop everything and watch
                                Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                                I wish i could get project Binky updates on a weekly basis
                                me too
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X