Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW R65 cafe build!

Info:

I got super lucky with being the first one to respond to the CL ad, I picked it up the very next after nearly 2 hours one way to get it(not bad at all). The bike has not been on the road since 1991, the carbs were really junked up an afternoon took care of that issue! The tank is in REALLY bad shape. Came with a new clutch, fluids changed and new tires.

Paid 1,040 total getting bike and gas back home.

Plans:

-R90 or R100 Tank
    -Clip on bars
    -Second front Brembo and rotor W/stainless brake lines.
    -Custom seat pan with brown leather
    -Rear disk brake
    -Redesign rear suspension(requires more research)
    -GSXR-600 front end conversion(over winter)
    -Bullet style indicators
    -Race fairing(depending on what I can find)

Long term plans:

-Making a bit more power, carbs? completely unsure of what can be done for this engine.
    Any info/links on this would be neat! I found a few on getting different carbs, upgrading the crank etc

Colorway:
    Satin black/polished aluminum & chrome everything with gun bluing for the tank and seat pan.

Goal:

Tight and nimble bike that looks great and drive sound, it is a weekend toy and light daily use.

Let's get to some photos!

This coating shit is all over the inside of the tank, it is also leaking badly on the bottom seam.

This tank is getting replaced ASAP and thrown on ebay for cheap.

This tube was so caked full of crap the jet was not able to be seen, had to dig it out and clean the jets and bowl passage way.

This jet was packed completely full of crap, once both carbs were clean it fired up and idled very nice. I had some spare bowl gaskets and threw them on(not pictured).

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Very F**cking cool!! Look's like a sweet bike that would pop with a little elbow grease.
    sigpic Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345799 -

Comment

Recent episode of "Naked Speed" might be good for inspiration. Not sure of air date but did use an older version as a starting point.

Comment

Last edited by deutschman; 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM.
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Careful in "redesigning" the rear suspension, its a heavier bike and you have less leeway if something is not done correctly. However its a cool bike and you have some cool plans for it. Theres a company I believe in the UK or Germany that makes rear end swaps for this that essentially bolt on.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
          Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Working...
          X