No announcement yet.

Delphin Gray Convertible: S52 Summer Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulics are in, new brakes and driveshaft are done. Now I just need to get it to an exhaust shop.

Started the car over the weekend and when the MAF is plugged in, the engine surges from 1300-2000 rpm when idling. I only have one O2 sensor plugged in. When the MAF is unplugged, it idles fine. Are these correlated or do I have another problem somewhere else?

OBD2 codes are pulling up crank and cam sensors but they are brand new.

Comment

Been a slow few weeks. Exhaust is fabricated, fans are in. Now I just need to solve an idle surge. The idle goes from 900 to 2000. ICV? MAF? Cam sensor?

Exhaust is in. I went with a custom 2.5" setup from the long tubes back. Magnaflow high-flow cat, x-pipe and ending in a UUC System U catback. It's an E36 catback but it fits. Sounds really good but is LOUD. May add a resonator in the future to quiet it down.
      Last edited by exhaust; 11-07-2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
        Been a slow few weeks. Exhaust is fabricated, fans are in. Now I just need to solve an idle surge. The idle goes from 900 to 2000. ICV? MAF? Cam sensor?
        Been a while since an update. Didn't have much time in September / October. The idle issue ended up being a faulty crank sensor. I ordered a new Siemens unit from Amazon but was shipped a Chinese / non-Siemens unit in a Siemens box... Shout out to Bimmer Buddies in PA for solving it.

Another issue was that the Vanos unit throwing off timing. It turns out that using a Beisen kit on a unit that doesn't need it can cause problems. Basically I wanted to be proactive but it wasn't broken so I shouldn't have fixed it.

Dropped off at Bimmer Buddies about three weeks ago. Finally get to drive this thing...

Comment

Thats why fuck Amazon

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's back! Well, was back.

I picked the car up about two weeks ago and daily drove it. This car with an S52 is awesome but it needs lower gearing. With the G260 and 3.73 first gear is pretty useless and it's turning high on the highway.

Then yesterday, exactly one year from when the M20 went, I took a turn to fast and lost it. Front left quarter swiped a tree and took out the fender, rim and control arm. Luckily everything else is fine, even the hood closes straight. God damnit.

Comment

oh man, least nothing frame is bent, how was s52 compared to m20 when you got it back from bimmerbuddies?

Comment

Glad you hit a tree and not another car. Now there are two of us on the hunt for delphin bumpers!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Ah Man.. Very sorry to see this. Ironically I just noticed this thread for the first time this morning. I too am a former owner of your car. I sold it to the guy you bought it from back about 10-12 years ago. hard not to recognize it with the wheels and body kit all of which were on the car when I bought it from the guy in Middlesex above. Sounds like the last 4 owners have all been die hard E30 enthusiasts.

FWIW, I have a straight driver side vert fender in my basement that I will donate to the cause if you want it. However, it is alpine white I with failing clear coat and was originally from an MTech 2 so it has the 5 mounting holes near the bottom for the side pod. PM me if interested. I'm in South Jersey near Philly.
                  Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 11-25-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Awesome stuff! I'm glad i'm not the only one doing a s52 vert swap! Hooray for PA!

Curious, how did that X brace work out for you? On the line buying one with Garagistic running a good deal on them this weekend
                    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                    '95 BMW e34 525i
                    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                    '92 Range Rover Classic
                    '90 Range Rover Classic
                    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                    '67 Pontiac LeMans
                    '24 Model T Depot Hack
                    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
                      oh man, least nothing frame is bent, how was s52 compared to m20 when you got it back from bimmerbuddies?
                      Excellent. I've been meaning to give them a call just to thank them for their work. They were fast, fair priced and really took care of me. You can tell they really care about what they do. The S52 vs the M20 is a whole different game. I laughed a lot when I drove the M20 but now it doesn't stop

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
                        Ah Man.. Very sorry to see this. Ironically I just noticed this thread for the first time this morning. I too am a former owner of your car. I sold it to the guy you bought it from back about 10-12 years ago. hard not to recognize it with the wheels and body kit all of which were on the car when I bought it from the guy in Middlesex above. Sounds like the last 4 owners have all been die hard E30 enthusiasts.

FWIW, I have a straight driver side vert fender in my basement that I will donate to the cause if you want it. However, it is alpine white I with failing clear coat and was originally from an MTech 2 so it has the 5 mounting holes near the bottom for the side pod. PM me if interested. I'm in South Jersey near Philly.
                        Thanks! Glad to see it's been through a good line of people. Since the bumper fender were taken out, I was looking into the Kopi MTech 2 kit from Abraham's Motorsport, any idea if they would line up? I'm guessing I'd have to drill the other fender. The paint on the convertible is pretty faded and due for a respray anyway so I'm not against the white. I'll send a PM

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                          Awesome stuff! I'm glad i'm not the only one doing a s52 vert swap! Hooray for PA!

Curious, how did that X brace work out for you? On the line buying one with Garagistic running a good deal on them this weekend

You're going to love it.

I'm a big fan of it. It really does tighten everything up and they're having a good sale. If you don't have one, grab their strut brace too

Comment

I got the car over to my shop this weekend and started digging into the damage. The control arm was trashed but that was about it. Strut tube might be bent but I need to take a better look at it. My biggest concern is in the pictures. What do you guys think? I'm no body guy but I don't think that fender line is to bad but, I don't know how to assess the lower damage.

Comment

Originally posted by exhaust View Post
                              Thanks! Glad to see it's been through a good line of people. Since the bumper fender were taken out, I was looking into the Kopi MTech 2 kit from Abraham's Motorsport, any idea if they would line up? I'm guessing I'd have to drill the other fender. The paint on the convertible is pretty faded and due for a respray anyway so I'm not against the white. I'll send a PM
                              I think the Abraham Kopy mt2 kit includes the front and rear bumpers and spoilers, but not the mt2 side skirts or pods. The holes in the mt2 fender are in the lower rear to accept the sideskirt and pod. Any sideskirt would cover the lower hole, but you would want to fill the upper holes if not running the mt2 side pods. If you are just thinking about running the mt2 front valance, I have a spare that you might be interested in.

Comment

Sorry about the crash, great project though!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X