5 speed swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed swap

Hi guys i am going to do a 5 speed swap on my car the tranny flywheel and clutch are out of a 86 es and my car is a 89 325i does anyone one have any tips tricks or anything they could help me with? Will the tranny work in the first place?

1989 E30 325i Sedan Alpine

Bump

Comment

There are minor differences in the trans from an 86 and one from an 89 but it can work. Do you have a manual driveshaft as well?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

start reading.

Just did this in March. The swap is retarded easy, go get a cheap trans jack, stubby ratchet (starter bolts) reverse torx sockets and 3' ratchet extensions from Harbor Freight and it'll be a cakewalk.
        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          There are minor differences in the trans from an 86 and one from an 89 but it can work. Do you have a manual driveshaft as well?
          Yes i have drive shaft, pedals, master cylinder, mount, csb, booster, resivoire, the little cylinder in the clutch pedal, wiring harness and the shifter. I know i need trans, flywheel clutch and pressure plate. What else?

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...+compatibility

start reading.

Just did this in March. The swap is retarded easy, go get a cheap trans jack, stubby ratchet (starter bolts) reverse torx sockets and 3' ratchet extensions from Harbor Freight and it'll be a cakewalk.
            I have replaced the auto tranny once already and i freaking hate these peice of shit trannies the g260 in my opinion is better. And keep in mind i am inly 17 lol

Comment

Ah gotcha. The 4HP22 auto isn't terrible, but without a manual the E30 is just another boring car for sure. The link I posted should help you decide which flywheel etc. you need. It all depends on which bell housing depth you have.
              1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
              1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
              bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Yea i gotta pick up the trans first then. I have had horrible experience with the 4hp22 and my cars original one had the usual a pack clutch faliure and this ine is leaking more than anything i have seen. The seals are blown including the side kick down i dont even know how. Id rather swap it. The other one i put in inly cost me a 100. Glad didnt pay more for it. IMO i would never buy another auto e30 unless its gunna be a garage queen and i still see no point i hate these trannys. BTW thanks alot for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X