The E30 carbecue trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E30 carbecue trailer

We got the idea after seeing something similar on Bimmerfest Europe this year. A local E30 enthusiast/friend had a parts car we could use. So after some quick brainstorming we got out the grinder and started to cut.

Almost there:

And done:

We prepared the towbar earlier, so it was just a case of bolting it to the rear subframe and welding it to the old mount of the drive shaft. We also prepared a cable for the lights, so after some soldering they worked as well.

Ready for a test drive:

The position of the front mount had to change but we were going to reinforce that part of the trailer anyway.

Everything worked pretty okay, so time to drive it to our workshop
    We didn't get that far as the brakes overheated, apparently cutting the brake lines results in the brakes touching the drum, lesson learned!

We had the choice of stopping every few miles and letting it cool or getting out the tools and ripping out the brakes. So we chose the last option and took out the brakes completely.

We got to the workshop safely, so now it was time to make it better. I wasn't really pleased with the mounts, they made the trailer way to wobbly. So we reinforced it quite a bit.

And to keep the stuff inside at least kind of dry:

Added some reflectors and a licenseplate so it's legal now:

And heading to the Nürburgring for a weekend with friends:

And i know it says Carbecue in the title, but we couldn't finish the barbecue in the trunk in time for this weekend so we just took a normal grill with us.

The next day we dropped all our camping gear in the trailer and left it in the parking lot so we could drive some laps around the Nürburgring.

Future plans:
    - Put BBQ in the trunk
    - Install a battery, radio and speakers so we can play some music
    - Install small camping refrigerator so we can drink cold beers while barbecuing
    -
    sigpic

Awesome! Looks like a great project and a fun trip.

Comment

gimmie that touring :O

Comment

I never knew you could just drive on the NB. No gear, special equipment... just pay, I presume, a fee and take a few laps?

Good looking car.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by XwalkerX View Post
          gimmie that touring :O
          Make me an offer I can't refuse :p

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          I never knew you could just drive on the NB. No gear, special equipment... just pay, I presume, a fee and take a few laps?

Good looking car.
          Yeah, you can basically show up with any road legal car and drive laps (€27 per lap). They say it's a normal toll-road, so no safety gear required. It was 35 degrees Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) that day, so I took the touring for a slow lap around the ring, shifting early to keep temperatures down, taking it slow around the blind corners, but we had a lot of fun anyway.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X