Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lira (euro DS mtech II 318is reshelled, 24v swapped, also now BAR'd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    some wonderful surprises that car is giving you!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jordan
    replied
    Enjoying this build.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    I've been busy.

Temporarily put the front end together to get all the fragile bits off the shop floor

Got the clips for the sunroof headliner piece, reassembled that whole business. Still hate it.

Got the sideskirts and pods off the donor. Note to everyone who may some day put an mtech 2 kit on - DON'T FUCKING USE ALUMINUM RIVETS SHITKNUCKLE

The actual hardware you need comes from BMW, not Home Depot. This is courtesy of Mr. Timeless Hair at Blunttech:

Anyway, the sideskirts have some damage so I've got a bit of restoration work ahead of me.

missing dogleg clips:

end of sideskirt destroyed and held on by zip ties:

also I painted the swaybar that came on the donor

and refoamed the toolkit

and got some stuff!

OE drilling template for one of the sideskirts:

new exhaust heatshield:

finally, I've been prepping the dogleg to go onto the M50. Here is the sucker:

here's the crazy ass linkage that it had in the donor car:

how about that "short shifter"?

Leave a comment:

• vitiokas95
    replied
    very nice

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Dogleg with out a doubt.

Leave a comment:

• rcsoundn1
    replied
    Nice project, and great progress. PM me about the old audio stuff with a price.

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    I'm not sure what to do about the transmission that's going to be in this car.

On one hand, I have a Getrag 250, the selector rod it likes, a brace for it, and a driveshaft that will bolt right up between it and a S3.46 diff.

On the other hand, I have a Getrag 245/11, the selector rod it likes, a brace for it, and a driveshaft that will bolt right up between it and a S3.46 diff.

"They" say the 250 is known to be a weak transmission, but "they" say much the same of the 245. Doglegs are cool..

Unless that dogleg is really worn out, it will last a long time behind that engine.

I vote dogleg for euro cool factor.

Leave a comment:

• CorvallisBMW
    replied
    Awesome, sub'd

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    I'm not sure what to do about the transmission that's going to be in this car.

On one hand, I have a Getrag 250, the selector rod it likes, a brace for it, and a driveshaft that will bolt right up between it and a S3.46 diff.

On the other hand, I have a Getrag 245/11, the selector rod it likes, a brace for it, and a driveshaft that will bolt right up between it and a S3.46 diff.

"They" say the 250 is known to be a weak transmission, but "they" say much the same of the 245. Doglegs are cool..

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Subscribed.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Got a few more things done: hung doors, installed lockstrips, buttoned up interior, painted under-headlight strip of valence.

I used a paintscratch can for the valence and it came out well. 3 medium-light coats, 1 dust coat (the can says to do this to make the metallic look right), 2 coats of clear, still needs to be wet sanded and a final coat applied.

Also pulled this out of the donor, it's a bit absurd. Anyone want a nice old school pioneer setup?

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Jealous of all the euro parts. Trying to decide if I want to put in a euro obc or a euro clock in mine
    Clock! Clocks are rad.

Originally posted by robrez View Post
    Very awesome! Are you going to use the euro front fenders with side repeaters?
    I'm going to transfer the repeaters and cladding to the fenders that came on Lira, they're straight and have new paint.

Leave a comment:

• robrez
    replied
    Very awesome! Are you going to use the euro front fenders with side repeaters?
    Last edited by robrez; 09-22-2015, 10:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Jealous of all the euro parts. Trying to decide if I want to put in a euro obc or a euro clock in mine

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    well, today was a day

first I took the dash and carpet out of the receiver

nice and tidy, how it should be.

then I took the donor apart some more..

the passenger footwell is just thoroughly fucked through with rust. good thing this shell isn't going back on the road!

some more goodies pulled out of the italian car..

Hella smileys

this was a pleasant surprise!

euro foglight switch

mtech II wheel

Italian OBC!

and a euro cluster..

anyway, then I got to assembling it...

first, re-foam the HVAC flange

then stick the carpet in (I cut around the HVAC because fuck that noise)

and then I got focused and didn't take photos until the interior was mostly together

also while taking the dash out, I found this:

the car shall be called Lira.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X