No announcement yet.

Project Lessmeister: 91 318iS Restomod w/ MTech2 and modern drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweet! whens the colour going down? Mines going in on Monday to get the colour on. The Race is on!
    Boris - 89 E30 325i
    84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      Great work on the IHKS. I'm not looking forward to taking mine apart, but seeing what one looks like all cleaned up is quite motivating, and refreshing to see in a build thread.

Did you shave the airbag accelerometer sensor bracket things in the engine bay?
      Thanks, its not something I've seen anyone else tackle and its something all of our cars sorely need at this point. If the dash is out already it makes perfect sense to do it then.

Yes, I shaved them, the coil pack bracket, the air cleaner bracket, and a few other odds and ends.

Originally posted by bangn View Post
      sweet! whens the colour going down? Mines going in on Monday to get the colour on. The Race is on!
      Color will likely be end of next week, we shall see.
      Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        Work happened to bring me by Imperial Collision this morning so I got a chance to check out progress with my own eyes. The car is nearly ready for primer and its looking great. I'm looking at getting it back maybe the first week of November.

This afternoon I also picked up some parts from BMW of Houston North I'd been waiting on. New OE foam for the IHKS, and the OE BMW fabric loom wrap. The foam that seals the IHKS to the bulkhead is absolutely critical. If it fails to seal you will get rain water into the cabin. The foam seal to the IHKS output to the dash is less critical but a leak here generally just means reduced air flow and a potential for noise.

This pair of foam seals will set you back about $80. The wire loom tape comes in rolls of 75ft and runs about $28.

I LOVE this OE loom tape, its a wonderful icing on the cake touch for the rebuild of this unit.
        Originally posted by bangn View Post
        you know the tape is TESA 51026, the stuff your using looks almost vinyl. I buy it by the stack off ebay ex germany, heaps cheaper than from BMW.
        Wasn't it determined that the OE tape is almost identical to hockey stick tape and can be bought for under $10 a roll?

Edit: Quick search shows it is Coroplast brand tape. Can be had on eBay for cheap:

Get the best deals for Coroplast Fabric Tape at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

there would be a few manufacturers of the fabric tape, however the tape you get in a bmw bag is TESA branded. Hockey stick tape seems to be more on the flat side, the Tesa stuff is more fluffy.

Boris - 89 E30 325i
          84- E30 323i

Comment

Japandrew???
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I know Japandrew got some from the dealer and it was Certoplast brand. I ordered a sleeve of it when I did my engine swap. It appears to be a closer match than the stuff you are using. It is all over eBay.
              Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

The inner cardboard tube of the OE BMW tape does indeed say Coroplast on it.

Comment

Primer dried overnight, car is out of the booth now to start blocking.

Comment

Moving along nicely.

Curious what year Imolarot II was first offered? I think it's an outstanding choice.

Comment

This is going to be good...

I ordered 4 or 5 rolls of the Tesa tape off Amazon prime and was pretty happy with it. Makes an audio install look much more OEM that's for sure.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

I believe the first year Imolarot II was available was 1999. Imolarot was available from 94/95 IIRC.

Comment

Isn't this a rubber grommet you want to remove before paint?

Comment

Ha, yes I actually already sent a near identical photo and had them pop them out and throw those away. I bought new ones.

Comment

Visited my friends over at Imperial Collision this afternoon to check on progress on the e30's paint work. As always beautiful work. I'm loving the color and how Imolarot II flips dark/light depending on the ambient lighting, and seeing parts in color now... WOW. I love love love it.

I'll have to swing back mid week to collect all the loose body parts with the wagon and take them home to get them out of the way.

Chassis shell will be going into the booth this coming week.

Comment

That color is looking amazing

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X