T-Erz remote mount turbo e30 revival thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i recently picked up a 1990 Delphin gray 325i with sts remote mount turbo kit and i wanted to make this thread to document how far the car will come and to get advice from people who probably know better than me. the goal is 400ish whp, sharp handling, and clean body.

heres a little background on me:
    before i bought this car i was daily driving a FBO+meth 2008 135i, i still have the car but might sell it come spring. for now the e30 is going to be my driver for the winter and the 1er can stay under the car port. before the 135i i had an e36 m3, and before that a e46 m3. my dad has been driving and selling bmws since the late 90's so i kind of just picked up my love for the german straight 6 from him.

bakground on car:
    i was browsing the for sale section in my local newspapers website and while looking at 3 series 89-91 i saw this gray 325i. the pictures sucked and the description was very brief only stating it was boosted with an sts turbo kit. i texted the number in the add with no reply and ended up calling the next day to get a time to go look at it.
    i went and looked at the car on a sunday night while it was dark as hell. owner knew nothing about cars and had no idea what was on it other than it was boosted.
    the inside of the car was almost mint, only has a rip in the driver seat. exterior was pretty beat with surface rust here and there along will peeling clear.
    when i drove the car it idled a little high but drove fine. trans had a grinding/hissing sound in 2nd and the heater didnt work were the main issues. i ended up offering the guy for it and he said he would get back to me within the next few days. he texted me monday at lunch and said come get it:)

tracked down the person who built it in 2011 and setup on car is as follows:
    sts turbo kit, tcd stage 1 clutch, tcd turbo chip, vortech FMU aka rrfpr, walbro fuel pump, ls1 24# injectors, sts BOV and WG (5 pound spring), sts turbo which is small as hell

mechanical issues:
    could hear/ feel grinding in 2nd gear or when shifter was moved side to side. fixed this last night, looks like when they did the mounts or trans they didnt bolt the back of the shifter arm into the body. the arm was rubbing on the driveshaft, put it back into place and bolted it on= no more grind or noise

heater doesn't blow any hot or cold air no matter the blower setting, you can feel the hot air if you touch the vent it just wont blow.
    i ordered a blower motor resistor off ebay to try first, if not then im assuming blower motor is toast.

autometer boost gauge non functional
    plastic 1/8'' line was hanging loose in engine bay with ripped rubber adapter boot and vaccum t was just venting to atmosphere.
    went to ace's hardware and rigged up a bunch of brass fittings to fit the line, boost and vac now work and idle is alot better!

laggy turbo response
    im thinking boost leaks or clogged WG. car hits 5 psi by 4000 rpm which seems slow for such a small turbo. could just be the nature of remote mount turbo but the original builder said when he had the car it hit hard and spooled fast. will investigate.

body damage:
    clear coat peel on driver fender, hood, decklid and one quarter panel. suraface rust on bottom of fender and hood, dent on other quarter right by tail light, and rock chips on front end. all panels still have vin stickers

i work as a paint apprentice so the plan is to have the dent on the back quarter pulled and fixed by body guy at work and i will do a full respay and fix and small dent/rock chips. dont know if i wanna just keep it the original color or go with a more intresting color

interior:
    one super small crack on dash, driver seat ass is destroyed, shitty purple tint. tint will be getting redone asap and ill be on the lookout for black driver seat in good shape.

suspension & chassis:
    feels ok for now, plan was to redo all bushings but when i had it on the lift last night they were all near new. new plan is to just lower it and get wheels, oh and LSD

car isnt slow by any means but needs more boost. did some pulls with my friends s50 e36 m3 and we were even from 20-80 but i smoked him 60-100. i want to get a 10lb spring and see how that feels. anyone think that is too much for stock rebuilt motor? i saw Kamotors doesnt recommend more than 12psi on stock motor and head gasket but the turbo he runs is bigger than mine.

onto the pics!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grinchxvx; 12-06-2015, 06:53 PM.

a few more!
    Attached Files

Comment

Rip that POS Turbo setup off and replace it with a proper manifold mounted setup.

Doesn't seem helpful, but rear mount turbos are for lazy people. You will never get reasonable spool out of that setup unless you were running a small block v8.

Will look deeper into your post later tonight, and possibly add a more insightful response.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
        Rip that POS Turbo setup off and replace it with a proper manifold mounted setup.

Doesn't seem helpful, but rear mount turbos are for lazy people. You will never get reasonable spool out of that setup unless you were running a small block v8.

Will look deeper into your post later tonight, and possibly add a more insightful response.

That's definitely not out of the question. Car is fun and decently fast but man the lag kills me. My 135i has full boost by less than 3000 rpm. I'm thinking I might just try bigger WG spring and see how that feels, I rather max out the current setup since it would be less costly and the hardware is already there. Car was cheap enough that converting to top mount wouldn't kill me but I rather work with what I have plus it's unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When was it ever OK to install the Volvo lip? And I recall a thread of a guy using landscaping border material for a front lip, too. Please stop the madness. Spend the $80 bucks and get a real front.

At any rate, welcome. Dyno?
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
            When was it ever OK to install the Volvo lip? And I recall a thread of a guy using landscaping border material for a front lip, too. Please stop the madness. Spend the $80 bucks and get a real front.

At any rate, welcome. Dyno?
            lmao i think it looks ok, i like the alpina lower valance/lip but $$$. maybe i can find a rep. not yet, what gear do you dyno these cars in? ill be on the lookout for a dyno day

Comment

That license plate ..... was that thing in Idaho Falls? Bit of an odd place for something like that.
              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                That license plate ..... was that thing in Idaho Falls? Bit of an odd place for something like that.

The guy I bought it from had family or something in Idaho but lives here in salt lake. Probably did it for emissions reasons

Comment

Sts is or was a Utah company, about 60 miles away from my house

Comment

Anyone know what rebuilding a Tial or turbo smart wastegate involves? This sts WG is supposed to be rebranded Tial and I want to open it up and throw in the 10lb Spring but don't know what I'll need putting it back together

Comment

Been a while since I owned a tial, but I think all you need is the spring and a new fire ring.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                        Been a while since I owned a tial, but I think all you need is the spring and a new fire ring.

Only servicable part I can find is the diaphragm so I'm guessing that's it, I'll also need 2 2 bolt gaskets. Since the boost gauge is working it looks like I'm holding boost just fine. I guess it could be bleeding off boost during acceleration but I have a feeling the car is just like this by nature

Comment

Do you have an intercooler? I imagine with the intake setup running like that right next to the exhaust your intake temps have got to be pretty high killing some of your power.

Comment

Yes it's a front mount sprayed black so it's not very noticeable

Comment

Had some free time at work today so I got to ripping off the tints. Got the two doors done in about an hour with a heat gun, razor, and adhesive remover. Tried windex and razor first but it was just breaking off in little pieces
                              I'm going to retint it I'm thinking 40/20 front/back

Comment

Working...
                              X