The Adventures of Golden Boy, my Rebound E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
    Damn thats a great price at least compared to the stuff im seeing in my area which is around 2.25/sq.ft.

Got a nice thing going on there man, Im quite envious!
    It definitely varies, certain areas are upwards of $4/sq.ft. and others can even drop below $1/sq.ft. just depends on how lucky you get and what amenities you have. Good luck on your search!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Finally have some progress to report regarding Golden Boy!

Today was the big day, The '02 finally got trailered off to it's new home at CAtuned in Sacramento:

With the arrival of Igor and Landan also came the arrival of some goodies for the E30. First off is a new clutch kit for when I manual swap the car (still looking for an M20 flywheel if any of you happen be selling one):

A late model IS front lip (all the clips were included but not pictured), however I am not sure if I will be keeping this. While I plan on doing a plastic bumper swap front and rear, I think I'm going to run the early model IS front air dam, I just love that thing. We'll see what happens though, I'll make the final decision when I'm actually performing the swap:

A new set of IS side skirts. The driver's side fender portion was missing, so they're sending me one in a week or two. No big deal:

And last but not least, I have a set of these arriving in a week or two when they get their newest shipment in. Very excited about these!:

My next plan of action will be to get the E30 up on the lift and start the major suspension rehab. Can't wait!

Comment

very cool. I think CATuned coilovers are great.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          very cool. I think CATuned coilovers are great.
          That's what I keep hearing. I can't wait to try them out!

Comment

Staying tuned for next weeks episode!

Instagram: @mistacarder

Comment

You've got a cool build going on. Looking forward to updates on the car and from your shop.

Looks like your shop is off Sacramento? I work right around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by mistacarder View Post
                Staying tuned for next weeks episode!
                :up:

Originally posted by Peterbuilt84 View Post
                You've got a cool build going on. Looking forward to updates on the car and from your shop.

Looks like your shop is off Sacramento? I work right around the corner.
                Thanks man and good eye! Yes I am right behind Vintage Mustang. Where do you work?

Comment

psssst.... get the wheels on!

Comment

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
                    psssst.... get the wheels on!
                    I need to get tires first! And I'd like to get all the suspension stuff sorted out before I install the wheels.

I'm pretty torn on tire sizing. I could either go with 205/50r16 or 225/45r16, I think I'd like to go with 225's but they are significantly more expensive, and I'm trying to keep this build relatively cheap. I would like to try out a few track days eventually as it's something I've always wanted to do, so that's another reason why I'd like to run 225's.

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                      Thanks man and good eye! Yes I am right behind Vintage Mustang. Where do you work?
                      I work at Synergy MFG off Industrial. We manufacture Jeep and Dodge Ram parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterbuilt84 View Post
                        I work at Synergy MFG off Industrial. We manufacture Jeep and Dodge Ram parts.
                        Oh cool, is that associated with Poly Performance? Do you have an E30? You can PM me if you want

Comment

Just a small update on the E30. It's been a few weeks since I've even sat in the thing and I've been getting really antsy/excited to get started on this build so I opened it up today and decided I was tired of seeing the loose and bulging HVAC panel, so I started taking it apart. This eventually led to me taking the whole center console area apart since I will be 5-speed swapping it very soon and I just wanted to clean it out anyways. It really wasn't all that bad, I've seen way worse. I'm very pleased with how clean this car actually is. I'm sorry for the terrible photos:

Once I had all that apart and organized, I was just starting to get into the swing of it and wanted to keep going, so I decided to take my driver's seat out since it's twisted and pretty torn up:

Regarding the "twist", if you're sitting in it your shoulders don't sit parallel with the steering wheel, the left side is pulled back and is really uncomfortable. You can kind of tell here, it looks more subtle in the photo, in real life it's very noticeable:

I started disassembling the seat trying to find where it was bent or broken, and eventually ended up here haha wasn't necessarily prepared for a full teardown:

Throughout the teardown, I found two culprits as to why the seat was twisting and sagging. One being a missing screw holding the back portion of the seat to the bottom portion. This made it move around a lot:

The next was a broken weld on the knee bolster frame. The whole bolster frame is bent outward and twisted so I'll need to straighten everything back out and weld it back up:

Hopefully those two issues will get the seat sitting straight again, however I feel like I may be missing something. I have a hunch that the backrest portion will still be slightly twisted.

I'm on the hunt for a good condition knee bolster foam for the driver's seat. The piece circled in red below, PM me if you have one!

Tonight I ordered a pair of new vinyl front sport seat skins in pearl beige which should arrive next week sometime, really excited to have new looking seats! Wasn't planning on addressing the seats so early into the build but it just sort of happened that way.

I also ordered new tires the other day and those should be in next week sometime as well.

This car is going to see some big changes in the near future!
                          Last edited by CubbyChowder; 02-03-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Took the rest of the seats out and gave the carpet a quick vacuum. Pretty clean as is but I'll definitely be steam cleaning it before the reupholstered seats go in, which will be right after the suspension overhaul and 5-speed swap:

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                              I'm on the hunt for a good condition knee bolster foam for the driver's seat. The piece circled in red below, PM me if you have one!
                              You can save some time and money if you head to michael's and get some thin foam and cut it to fit in the chunk of the bolster that's missing, then you can get a yard of fabric netting, cut it to shape, and use fabric spray adhesive to build a new skin around the damaged part of the bolster. I did this with mine on my drivers side lower and upper left bolsters as well as the rear seat in multiple areas and now you can't tell anything was ever there

Wish I had pics to show you exactly what I mean but take a trip to the crafts store and put some stuff together. I got the idea from a guy on here but I can't remember his sn

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                                You can save some time and money if you head to michael's and get some thin foam and cut it to fit in the chunk of the bolster that's missing, then you can get a yard of fabric netting, cut it to shape, and use fabric spray adhesive to build a new skin around the damaged part of the bolster. I did this with mine on my drivers side lower and upper left bolsters as well as the rear seat in multiple areas and now you can't tell anything was ever there

Wish I had pics to show you exactly what I mean but take a trip to the crafts store and put some stuff together. I got the idea from a guy on here but I can't remember his sn
                                Thanks for the suggestions man, I definitely thought about just trying to fix it but it's pretty far gone, it's super torn up. I scored a perfect condition shoulder bolster locally for $10 today so hopefully I can find a similar deal for a knee bolster!

Comment

Working...
                                X