89 325i Rally Cross Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325i Rally Cross Build Thread

So I just purchased an 89 325i rust bucket to convert into a rally cross/auto x/rally car/beater. The car will be strictly for closed course use.

I have a great place available to me to test and just mess around in. It is an old sawmill that we have converted into a Bark Mulch processing facility but enough about that, it is about 30 acres with a mix of asphalt, concrete and dirt surfaces with plenty of equipment to modify courses as needed.

About the car: Its really rusty and beat up. It has around 275,000 miles but still runs quite well considering. The PO installed a LSD, bilsteins(dont know much about them), and supposedly poly bushings all around. Other than that I dont know a whole lot about it but will find out and document as I deconstruct.

Plans: Stripped interior with Rally America compliant roll cage. Other than that I am kind of making it up as I go. I plan on getting a few parts cars or possibly using this car as a parts car if I find a better host car. Basically I'm going to try and buy up all the available beater E30s in New England so if you guys have any let me know.

and a couple of videos of messing around before i strip it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrCLwQUEYFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5eLIZwYaZk

I'm in
    HIK Fab

Comment

Nope, that doesn't look fun at all! :p
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Real jealous of the make-shift rally track, looking forward to this!

Comment

If I were to make a suggestion, based on several years of experience in this: For rallyx a rustbucket is ok. But if you plan to build a stage car and cage it, go find a low-rust or rust-free car to start with. Nothing is worse than having to do a lot of extra work to make the car solid for stage.
          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
          X