'86 325e Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again!

It has been quite some time since I've posted about this car, simply because I haven't had the time to put into it. However, I recently spent a weekend getting back into the car and putting some effort into getting it looking a bit better.

My friend works at a detail shop and gave me a hand getting the carpet all cleaned up so it could go back into the car. I wanted to get the headliner cleaned up before getting the carpet in, so that was my next job.

The picture above shows the sunroof part of the headliner cleaned up, with it having used to look like the rest of the headliner in the picture. It was covered in mold and mildew and smelled awful. It only took me about an hour to get the entire headliner cleaned up. My trick: Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover, then steam the headliner with a clothes steamer, then scrub it down with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This killed any mold and mildew and the eraser left it looking spotless. I left it to dry and the smell was gone.

IMPORTANT: If you choose to use this method, be sure to do so in a well ventilated area. I advise using gloves and a face mask as well; I have awful allergies and the mold, mildew, and bleach in the Tilex can really get your head spinning.

Next step was to get the carpet and interior put back together. The floor board vacuumed out and ready for carpet:

And the carpet installed. It came out great after me and my buddy finished it up. We started by taking a pressure washer to it, then used a steam cleaner for any difficult stains:

The front drivers seat installed. This was a replacement seat that I found for $50 at a parts warehouse. The original was destroyed and covered in duct tape:

Back seat, rear door cards, and center console installed:

This day project got me feeling a little better about where the car was going. If I can spend one day out of a 6 month period working on it, I'm happy. Next step is to order about $300 worth of maintenance and get going on the engine. My goal is to get this car to The Vintage this year in Hot Springs, NC. It probably won't happen but we all have dreams, right?

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Those door pulls though!!! I love deep cleaning e30's like that, but yours was nasty. Good work OP

Comment

dude - super motivating build man - keep up the hard work!
        Paynemw
        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
        X