• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!!
    - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
    1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Just read through the whole thing! Awesome thread!

Comment

fantastic thread and great looking car. Leatherique has never made any of my leather softer, in fact, they say "For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary." so, pretty much the opposite. But it does great things to dry leather and really seems to help.

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
          fantastic thread and great looking car. Leatherique has never made any of my leather softer, in fact, they say "For “cardboard hard” leather, several applications will be necessary." so, pretty much the opposite. But it does great things to dry leather and really seems to help.
          Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
          Just read through the whole thing! Awesome thread!
          Thank you!
          - Darrell

2001 BMW M5

Comment

Awesome build man! You got a lucky kid!!
            M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Great project with your son.
              1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Agreed with others...great thread, hopefully your son is enjoying the process and progress.
                BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Glad to see this e30 getting the love it deserves. Good thread.

The Build:
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Looks really good!
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Lucky son - follow up!

Very nice build! A little over a year on... how's the car? Is you son having a blast both driving, and doing additional projects?
                      91 325i kaschmirbeige-metallic

Comment

It’s been great! The e30 has been my sons daily driver for almost exactly a year with very few issues. In that time he’s put about 12K miles on the rebuilt driveline/chassis and it’s performed beautifully.

We did have an ignition tumbler lock up, so it was replaced with a new one from BMW. Front wheel bearings, rotors, pads, and sensor were replaced recently

Next big project is headliner, carpet, and new leather. Also window tint while we have the glass out

Also, he was backed into at the school parking lot, so we have this nasty dent to contend with. [emoji35]

- Darrell

2001 BMW M5

Comment

Amazing resto.

Sorry to see the parking lot damage.
                          90 Bronzit 325is
                          16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Awesome build! I commend your patient work ethic.

How does your son like the S4.10 differential paired with the Getrag 260?
                            sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
                            1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
                            1991 318is - Sold
                            1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Thanks!

To be honest, we don’t really like the 4.10 gear ratio with the G260. First gear is really, really short and the effective top speed is <100mph, although that may not be such a bad thing for a 17 y/o and my insurance rates! [emoji38]

It’ll actually do more than 100mph, but the M20 is really screaming by that point. ~80mph is about 3700rpm, if I remember right.

Speaking of the M20, it’s run great since the rebuild. As I mentioned a couple pages back, I hit each cylinder with a drill-mounted ball hone and assembled it with new rings and bearings. Nothing went to a professional machine shop aside from the rebuilt head. Not that I’d recommend doing it this way to anyone else but oil pressure is good, compression is 170+ across the board, and it only uses (super slow leak from the rear main) about 0.5L per 5K miles. I’m going to wager the block, bores, and rotating assembly has approaching 300K miles on it since new. Well done BMW!
                              - Darrell

2001 BMW M5

Comment

Fantastic job! Just superb your built it with your son. Quite a journey.

Comment

Working...
                                X