Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Begins: My First E30 (brilliantrot 318is content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Begins: My First E30 (brilliantrot 318is content)

I've had been searching for an E30 for about 10 months before stumbling across this one. The E30 appeals to me for all the usual reasons that make older cars appealing - light weight, analog feeling, relatively simple design/styling. Aside from those usual things, I gravitated toward the E30 more than my other options due to its eminent practicality and "jack of all trades" sort of utility. Sometimes practicality really counts for a lot, especially for something I had planned to use as a daily driver (plan has probably changed, but more on that later)

Suffice to say, lots of feverish perusal of Craigslist ads and frenzied calls to sellers were made for cars that I missed. In Texas, the good ones seem to go fast.

Finally this one came up, happily on the exact same day that I received a new job offer. Even more luckily, I was going to be traveling to a friend's house in Dallas where this car was located. It was around 2 pm and the car had been posted at 10 am for $4250. I called the seller immediately, built rapport like a boss, and luckily had him agree to hold the car for me to see it in 2 days. I'm glad I did this and don't think that the car would have lasted very long if I would have waited. This would also be my first manual transmission car, but when it comes to a 318is for $4250, learning stick on the car you just bought is a small detail.

Here are some pics. Car has been resprayed.

Anyway, the car. As I've dug into the car I still think the price was okay (in the end I paid $4600 so he would take down the ad), but perhaps not the screaming bargain that I had initially thought. There are a lot of little things with it, with some things done by the previous owner that I found amusing/shitty. Hey, we were all 18 once. I did some stupid stuff with my 240 so I can understand it. Here are a few: roll bar behind front seats bolted to floor pan (I'm no mechanic, but this is dopey, right? haha), aftermarket carpet layed OVER OEM carpet, NO AIR FILTER ELEMENT, stuff like that.

It's got some Magnaflow muffler that sounds really good, just a little drone. Also speedo seems to read high, the tach low - when I was first revving the engine I was thinking damn this really is a race car, sounds like it's at 7k RPMs when it's really only at 4! Well, I'm thinking the tach is just busted.

The first order of business was to find out where the leaks were coming from, assess any rust damage, and get it fixed. About a week after getting it I pulled out the carpet and seats, and found this:

I want to repair this the proper way, which I think means bringing it to somebody who can weld in some patches. The rust doesn't go through the floor pan in any area. Any thoughts?

Today I changed the oil, air filter, and fuel filter. Here's what the immediate to-do list looks like:

-brake fluid flush
    -cooling system
    -timing chain tensioner (preventative)
    -valve cover gasket/inspect timing gears
    -fix lumpy idle (actually found out this only happens with A/C on - just dips and goes up, dips and goes up, again and again)
    -replace low/high beam lamps on both sides (H5006 lamps are proving difficult to find)
    -e-brake rebuild
    -hoses

I really want to firm of the brake pedal and fix the cooling system so I can take this thing to the autocross. I'm not about to drive it hard until I can be confident that the engine is running well and not hot, as I'd like to keep the block/head in rebuildable condition if possible.

The most pressing issue right now is the "hot" smell that I get when the car is warmed up. That, and the fact that the engine bay/parts are ridiculously hot after normal driving, makes me think the engine is running hot. The temperature gauge stays pretty steady at 1/4 but I don't trust it. Of course, I might be smelling something else but I want to make sure.

Probably going to be doing some cooling system troubleshooting next weekend. I can tell that the car has green coolant which was low when I picked the car up. Fingers are crossed that it isn't anything too serious, really the only thing that would really ruin my day is a cracked or corroded head, as I'd like to keep this car numbers matching if possible.

Until then, I'm happy to let this car sit in the garage, working on it when I can. The repaint is pretty nice except for a little orange peel, and I'm not in a hurry to start acquiring love taps and things from the rigors of daily driving.

Driving impressions/comparison to 240: The first thing that really amazed me was during the drive home on the highway I had a chance to just cruise, relax free from the effort of learning stick, and I noticed that the competence with which the car soaks up mileage is amazing for its size. Looking at the driver oriented dash and listening to the sewing-machine sounding engine, the word that kept popping into my head was "competence". I think I understand what people mean by German cars being serious. It just feels like a very competent machine on the highway, especially with the rebuilt suspension.

I can't really offer a fair comparison with my 240SX, as that poor car has original suspension with 150k, is automatic, etc. I do notice the difference in engine characteristic with the M42 being much more free and quick revving. It feels very racey and responsive in comparison. The E30 is more upright, and it feels it from the driver seat. The 240 feels lower. I love how close you are to the dash in the E30 - driving position is good.

It's also the little things that I've noticed. I've heard people say that the E30 has pretty nice interior materials quality and I've always thought "pfft, it's from the 80s, how nice can it be," but dammit if it isn't a very nice place to be! The door panels, dash material, etc. is definitely a step above.

Another thing is the design. The little connectors and things seem to have a nice positivity, a little tactile 'click' to let you know they are secure. It's things like that that make the car so nice to work on. If this is the way the Germans do things, I might be converted. Sometimes I open the trunk just to close it to hear it's solid "thunk." Driver's side door closes with almost no effort whatsoever - passenger requires a little more force.

Anyway, I think that's all for now. I'll be updating this thread periodically as I do things to the car.
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Found out today during wash + wax that there is a large shallow dent on the passenger side quarter panel behind the gas door. Probably was a bit overzealous not to have seen that when I bought the car.

The worst part is that it at one point probably could have been taken out with PDR, but somebody took a small hammer to the metal on the inside of the car so now it's waviness by 1000 hammer strikes. The inside metal is not smooth, the outside is smooth and seems to have been body filled.

It's not a hole, at least, but it bothers me that the car is always going to have body filler on it. Was hoping for some collector value here, that's looks like a longshot now with a bondoed quarter. Am I overreacting?

Comment

Did coolant drain + refill and bled brakes yesterday. Pedal still doesn't feel feel right - it's mushy. Any ideas on troubleshooting this? Pedal doesn't slowly sink, so is it safe to say it's not the master cylinder?

Comment

Nice car. If the damaged area bothers you so much, why not weld in a replacement panel? No more bondo...

Mr. Wolfe
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I've stuck with this car and have done A LOT of maintenance. I dare say that it's actually fun to work on - or at least rewarding.

It still has no interior which is a little annoying as it is my daily driver. The original plan was to fix the rust immediately, but because of more pressing mechanical issues, I only just started to grind out the floor pan rust. Here it is all cleaned up and ready for filling or welding. There are a few pinholes, haven't decided whether I will have them welded or just use body filler.

This car has been seriously abused by the PO(s). I'm trying my best to reverse the hack jobs and restore it to a more unmolested state. A few fun examples: radio wired directly to fuse box, spray foam all inside the trunk lid, random holes drilled in trunk area, motor mounts not attached. I could go on...

The main things I've done so far are refresh the cooling system (thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, engine block/radiator flush) and refresh the A/C system. Also a lot of little things like rebuilt the window switches, all throttle linkage bushings, DIY ground cables, and of course oil change.

The car has left my stranded several times. I finally traced the problem to poor connection in the fusible link.

Next on the agenda is mess under the intake and then rebuilding the front suspension. At some point I'll have the interior back in and have a somewhat nice car. Also want to get rid of the huge stock steering wheel and the terrible eBay seats. No plans for motor swap or crazy lowering, just some H&R sports and Konis probably. I'm hoping to make next autocross season.

Some more pics:

Took 4+ hours to get the seized water pump off.

She's photogenic. You can't see it in the pics but there are a few dings and waviness in the doors that I'd like to get removed via PDR. We have one of the best PDR guys in the country right here in Houston.

Comment

Today I deep cleaned the nooks and crannies under the rear seat. Water intrusion had made it a total mess back there.

Before:

After:

I'm quite pleased with the way it came out. I used dishwashing liquid with warm water and a large paintbrush to lather the soap into the tight spots. I let it sit, scrubbed with a toothbrush, and then lathered again before wiping off with a damp cloth. Worked like a charm for all the crevices. Car feels fresh!

Comment

I made a list of all the goofy shit done to the car. Somehow it makes me feel better.

-radio wires stuffed into fuse box

-[x}roll hoop bolted to floor pan

-[x]tar insulation crap everywhere

-spray foam in trunk lid

-random holes drilled in body

-[x]cheap aftermarket carpet laid over old OEM carpet

-battery held down with bungie cord

-[x]wrong thermostat

-terrible PDR job on rear quarter panel

-[x]wrong coolant

-shift knob glued on

The "[x]" is stuff I've already addressed.

Comment

This was all that was left of the factory head unit wiring:

Also, there was a 30A fuse for the radio (should be 7.5A) and the 2 power wires for the head unit were sloppily jammed under some fuses in the fusebox. I rebuilt the power wires and ended up with this:

It works!

Pretty pleased with how this turned out. Now everything is soldered/crimped and I'm using the factory harness (more or less). I have no idea why separate wires were ran to the fusebox and the factory wiring was cut, when it would have been right there behind the head unit ready to use.

Comment

My glass moonroof tilts but doesn't slide - anyone know how to fix?

Comment

Sunroof magically fixed itself.

Comment

This happened:

The engine runs noticeably smoother now with no more questionable vacuum hoses. Also cleaned the fuel injectors off the car. Also fixed fuel leak in engine bay which was dripping fuel onto the starter for who knows how long.

This was the biggest project I've undertaken on a car and with lots of planning it seems to have gone well. Next major project will be to replace the beat up front subframe/suspension.

Comment

Made the discovery today that the stock airbox doesn't go down far enough to be properly mounted - I think the alternator is getting in the way, so I guess it's an oversized unit?

Comment

Here's a full list of everything I've done to the car so far that nobody will read:

6/5/16
                          -door + hood hinges greased
                          -window switches rebuilt
                          -ICV cleaned
                          -right side cowl drain cleared, elephant trunk cleared

6/11/16
                          -air filter changed (mehle)
                          -oil change (rotella t6 5w-40, mehle filter)
                          -fuel filter changed (mehle)

6/18/16
                          -wash + clay bar + wax

6/25/16
                          -coolant changed (drained and filled + bled)
                          -brakes flushed and bled (valvoline dot 4)

7/2/16
                          -all exterior plastics restored (boiled linseed oil + mineral spirits)
                          -throttle body cleaned

7/3/16
                          -passenger side fuel tank hoses replaced (gates "barricade" high pressure 8mm)

7/9/16
                          -sanded + painted tail light gasket area, restored tail light gaskets

8/13/16
                          -a/c evaporator valve replaced
                          -a/c receiver drier replaced (behr)
                          -rear sway bar reattached

8/14/16
                          -a/c blower motor resistor replaced (behr)
                          -a/c blower removed and lubricated

8/21/16
                          -fuel pump o ring replaced
                          -fuel sending unit o ring replaced

8/24/16
                          -headlights (low beams) replaced

8/27/16
                          -upper oil pan bolts inspected (see thread on r3v limited - apparently they loosen up and fall out)
                          -lower oil pan gasket replaced (victor reinz OEM style w/ type 3a sealant)

9/3/16
                          -fan clutch replaced (sachs)

9/11/16
                          -engine ground wire replaced (DIY - 2 AWG welding cable)
                          -a/c vacuum pulled and charged with r134a

9/17/16
                          -entire cooling system (block, radiator, heater core) flushed and filled (garden hose & Prestone flush for flush; Zerex G-05 OEM spec 70/30 mix)

9/25/16
                          -thermostat replaced (wahler 88c)
                          -water pump replaced (hepu)

10/3/16
                          -alternator belt (gates xl)

10/8/16
                          -all throttle pedal linkage bushings replaced (5 total; OEM BMW)

10/22/16
                          -under carpet areas of body cleaned with soap and water (under center console, under handbrake, crevices on sides of rear seat)

11/11/16
                          -a/c belt replaced (contitech)
                          -p/s belt replaced (contitech)

11/13/16
                          -installed head unit correctly (rebuilt and adapted factory harness to work with kenwood adapter (soldered & heatshrinked), speaker connections crimped)

11/20/16
                          -sanded and painted rust under trunk seal
                          -fusible link replaced (OEM BMW)

11/26/16
                          -"mess under the intake"
                          -resealed intake manifold and throttle body (victor reinz gaskets)
                          -all new vacuum lines on intake side of engine (silicon)
                          -cleaned fuel injectors
                          -coolant pipe replaced (OEM BMW)
                          -coolant return line replaced (silicon)
                          -throttle body heater deleted

11/28/16
                          -installed trunk seal and protected with 303 protectant (URO Parts)

Highlights so far are cooling system overhaul, A/C system overhaul, mess under the intake, and what rust repair is possible with my limited bodywork skills. This is the first car I've undertaken any serious projects on and so far it has been very rewarding. Planning ahead is key.

My goal for the car is to establish a baseline with all preventative maintenance done and any worn items replaced. I want the car to feel and look like a new car. Down the road, I'll chuck the huge steering wheel, do a mild drop, and be one of those guys at the autocross with an impossibly clean ride who quik details in between runs.

The body work is the only thing that is kind of a chore to me. Any rust or body damage really bothers me, so I'm trying to power through and fix it ASAP so I can forget it ever existed. There is also a lot of time wasted on stupid stuff that I'm only having to go through because of the unfortunate combination of wanting the car to be close to perfect and having bought a somewhat abused example - stuff I'll eventually have to do like straighten out the pinch welds which are mangled to shit, and somehow fix the passenger side quarter panel which had a too-aggressive hammer/pull job on a dent and now has bondo smoothing over the ripples.
                          Last edited by c0rbin9; 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

You've done a lot so far, keep it up, it's looking good.

Are you from College Station? I sold some parts to a guy named Corbin out that way I think...

Anyway, car is looking good!

Comment

Nope, my first name is Toby. I did go to A&M, but that's a fact I generally keep hidden from strangers.

You can sell me some parts if you want to! Need a lot of random bits here and there...

Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Working...
                              X