No announcement yet.

Mostly-calypso: A $600 learning experience [Now S52 swapped]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your car looks awesome! Glad to see one saved and receiving a loving home.

I opted to go for a wrap on mine as well. The biggest learning curve was the paint prep. I had the hood completely done and noticed all these little spots underneath the wrap. I pulled it off and discovered my clear coat was completely trashed and every time i lifted the wrap to straighten out bubbles it was pulling off chunks of paint and clear. I ended up sanding the whole car. As I was sanding, some sections were so bad I had to prime them afterwards because the sander went straight to bare metal.
    Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
    '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
    Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
    1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
    Check us out
    Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

I'm curious of your impression of the Koni struts vs the Bilstein struts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
        ...and definitely saved some money when it was time for the rear quarter repair I bet. Now work on getting the A/C going so that you can really enjoy it this summer.
        Definitely saved some cash there, and AC is semi-functioning again (recharged the day after we got back). Had an o-ring blow out at the expansion valve before we left. It's still not *cold* but it'll do until I install new components along with the engine swap.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        I'm curious of your impression of the Koni struts vs the Bilstein struts.
        Really loving the adjustability of the Konis vs the Bilsteins. Bilsteins always felt just a little too firm for me with the H&R Race springs for every day driving.

Comment

Finally getting around to my yearly update of this thing. Work + life has been crazy and a bunch of stuff happened. Here's where we're at:

1. Installed this little baby subwoofer in the door pocket cavity. Built the enclosure out of MDF and mounted the amp in the trunk

2. Bought a truck and sold my X5 a few weeks later. It's a 2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Doublecab with a 6 speed manual. This thing was extremely hard to find and the Tacoma market is bonkers.

Oh and I installed a wireless carplay receiver

3. Went to the vintage for the second year in a row. Other than the radiator fan cutting into top hose and springing a leak, the car ran well and we had a great time.

4. Came home from the vintage and almost immediately bought this

This truckload of parts is a S52 pulled from a running E30 up in Louisville. I bought basically everything the guy had, as he was pulling it all out for an LS project. The engine had been sitting for a year or so, and was originally out of a '98 M3 auto sedan

Waited around a few weeks and then got to work. Since I bought a full running swap, it was relatively straightforward to pull the M20 out, and plug the S52 back in.

After sorting a couple tiny no-start issues, it fired right up (much to my surprise).

Buttoned everything back up and took it for a spin.

Tweaking a bunch of little things right now. I swapped to M5 mounts and fixed a shifter issue, and am currently installing all my AC components. Overall the swap took 3-4 weeks working mostly weekends. The car is a riot and I can't believe I haven't done this sooner - whole different animal.

Sidenote: May or may not keep updating this thread - it's really tedious and I'm rarely on here. Follow my instagram for quicker updates or browse #mostlycalypso if you don't want to see pictures of my cute dog.

Comment

great work! I've also had to deal with that hose being cut, but twice... probably was a motor mounts thing tbh, but looks like you took care of that!

Comment

Nice update! S52 looks like a blast. It was good meeting you at The Vintage! I was the guy in the white e30 who was drooling over your calypso right when we rolled in on Saturday haha. Just threw you a follow on Instagram. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                great work! I've also had to deal with that hose being cut, but twice... probably was a motor mounts thing tbh, but looks like you took care of that!
                No quicker way to fix a leaky radiator hose than with an engine swap!​​​

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
                Nice update! S52 looks like a blast. It was good meeting you at The Vintage! I was the guy in the white e30 who was drooling over your calypso right when we rolled in on Saturday haha. Just threw you a follow on Instagram. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Good meeting you too dude!

Comment

Working...
                X