Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To modify using stock parts or leave as is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To modify using stock parts or leave as is?

Hey, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with my e30.

I've owned an immaculate lachssilber 316 auto for around a year now with really low mileage and a comprehensive service history.

The car is a super clean example and appears to have been dry stored for it's existence as it is entirely rust free and the interior is 100% free from wear and damage and even comes with the original brochure as well as a stack of E30 pamphlets from the original dealership.

The car is equipped with a range of extras such as;

- x5 15" BBS alloys with pristine centre caps and BBS locking tool, genuine 'is' front lip spoiler, front valance fog lamps, colour coded bumper bar and wing mirrors, BMW mud flaps, full tool kit, BMW Jack, hyco wheel brace and towing eye, original BMW medi-kit, BMW glove box torch and even has a genuine unused BMW fire extinguisher bolted under the drivers seat.

The car came with power steering, manual sunroof, green tinted glass and an additional fuel tank fitted from factory.

I bought the car with the intention of building my own E30 using stock parts with the addition of what would have been factory fitted optional extras.

I've currently sourced a rare 4 door black leather recaro sports interior as well as an M-tech 1 steering wheel and intended to dye the carpets black and fit a 13 button OBC.

The car is unbadged so already appears to look like a 325i/is from the exterior. However, my intentions for the mechanics were to fit a low mileage M42 from an e36 with a 240 Getrag and Bilstien B12 suspension set up so the car would have the mechanical functions and performance of a 318is and still remain a 1.8L 4 cylinder.

Any modifications made to the car would be done in a tasteful period correct manner to resemble a factory finish as I still want it to look stock but just appear as a highly specced e30.

My only concern is as the car has survived for 29 years in such impeccable condition I almost feel guilty altering it at all..?

I know it's a four door which isn't to everybody's taste and I'm aware that it is an automatic M10 but the price range in the e30 market has over doubled in the past year (for this model) and I'm also concerned that if I make these alterations I won't be able to sell it down the line..

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

When preserving originality, IMO the operating principle is reversibility of any modifications that are done. As long as any parts added are reversible and don't require cutting/modification of the body shell - and assuming you keep the original parts - then there's no lessening of a car's originality.

If the swap requires such modification, normally I would rule it out. However, the car being a 316 and a 4 door changes the rule somewhat. Tricky question - depends on how much you or somebody else values the originality of a 316 4-door car, and honestly the answer is probably "not much".

EDIT: Since you wouldn't have to modify the body shell for the swap, I'd say it's fine. Keep the original engine though if you can manage the storage.
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 03-17-2017, 07:29 AM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

keep it and drive it into the ground.
      i have a fully restored four door auto... and don't care what people think. i'll never sell it anyway so who cares... its a sweet ride.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      '90 325i sedan daily driven
      '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
      X