• Show
Clear All

• Elysian
    replied

Added AT LEAST 40hp today.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Had time for real minor stuff yesterday. Grabbed a pair of 7/16-14 set screws, a 7/16-14 tap, and plugged the two vacuum lines that interfere with my valve covers. Didn't need them anyways, but used red Loctite, just in case I ever did need them again.

Also picked up a PCV grommet. Need to finish up the wiring on top of the motor and start putting the intake manifold on. Not sure which direction I'll be bolting the manifold on, any input is welcome.
    Last edited by Elysian; 07-25-2018, 05:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Good to know. Looks like I'll be doing further research on manual brakes.
    What about hydraulic?

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Elysian View Post
    Valve cover, would hit the valves underneath too, even with stock valves. Probably would just touch the head as well, couldn't get very far with it in place, thankfully only secured it with 2 nuts.
    Good to know. Looks like I'll be doing further research on manual brakes.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied

Upper intake is painted.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Hit the junkyard, grabbed a starter and a set of GM LS truck coils.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Meanwhile, got this on the way, thanks to Mykk540i/6.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Is there any benefit to making the driveshaft 2 piece? The E30V8 instructions say a 1 piece shaft can't be removed/installed easily, I'm wondering if it's worth it/possible to have the driveshaft shop keep the stock split location.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Bummer. Does it hit the head or just the valve cover?
    Valve cover, would hit the valves underneath too, even with stock valves. Probably would just touch the head as well, couldn't get very far with it in place, thankfully only secured it with 2 nuts.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Bummer. Does it hit the head or just the valve cover?

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied

Engine is in. Mounts line up. The Geo booster didn't work, maybe if you move it over 3" or so. I'm going remote booster.
    Last edited by Elysian; 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    I was starting to do a manual swap on my 88 325i... Got the trans off, realized the oil pan was the cause of the leak, not the RMS... Took the oil pan off, the oil smells like blown head gasket. Dumped the coolant, there's oil in there.

So I said screw it, the 88 is getting the 302. I'm in the middle of that right now, should have the engine in place by tonight.

Note the Geo Metro brake booster, I'll be able to confirm by tonight whether this works or not.

And that's where I'm taking a short break. Need to hit the parts store for some bolts, and need to see if I can find a C4 trans mount locally.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    More wiring done today, coolant sensor and cam sensor wires are run where I want them. Also mocked up the upper intake manifold and throttlebody so I can wire the TPS and IACV. Also attached the crank sensor, need to run the wire for that. Basically got the drivers side of the engine wiring how I want it, now working on the passenger side.

I found that the upper intake manifold and the valve covers don't play nice. The vacuum fittings on the bottom of upper intake come out underneath the manifold, and those 90 degree fittings bump right into the valve covers. Need to figure out if I can just chop them or if an intake spacer is a better idea...
    Last edited by Elysian; 06-17-2018, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Didn't get a lot done last night, but did record the resistances on my coolant temp sensor so I can plug that into Tuner Studio later on.

Leave a comment:

• Elysian
    replied
    Started wiring today. Injector leads are wired, heat shrunk, fiberglass wrapped, and taped at the engine side. Need to run more wires for the loom, so not ready to button the injector wires up yet. Also ran the wire for the cam phase sensor, and realized I couldn't find the engine coolant temp sensor, so ordered one of those. Got some more wire on the way as well, and some assorted pieces of heat shrink so I don't have to cut so much manually.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X