Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 325e restoration (mostly stock build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325e restoration (mostly stock build)

First of all, I have never done this. I am already half way into the build, however, i figured i might as well share it with the inter-web. I am sure i can learn a few things from making this project public. I am keeping the car mostly stock with the exception of wheels (currently looking for 15" BMW basket weaves at a decent price) and perhaps Mishimoto radiator. I have determined that my motor has been removed at some point. I have also determined that, at some point, some one has tried to bondo some rust on the floor pan.

What I am starting with:
    1987 BMW 325e, 2.7L (eta head)

What I have already done in the past 3 months:
    -KS main bearings
    -GLYCO rod bearings
    -Clutch slave cylinder
    -Stockradiator
    -I am on a witch hut for rust; MIG welding fresh steel into prescribed places
    -Overall refresh
    -I am currently waiting on a shipment with rod bolts, head studs, and freeze plugs.

Things I plan on doing within the month - month 1/2:
    -address rust
    -clean and reassemble the head (note: there is some questionable cam journal wear i am uneasy about, however, I am overly paranoid)
    -new gas pedal
    -new driver sear cushion
    -removable radiator support bracing
    -new bushings all around
    -new brakes

Things i want to do in the reasonable future:
    -new headliner (mine is in decent shape (not saying, just a small tear near the sunroof)
    -I am on the fence on repainting engine bay
    -new on-new onboard computer thinks where the clock goes on the dash board
    -either carpet dye or new carpet all together
    -new, moderately stock sounding, exhaust
    -in the near future I will source a euro bumper. I am aware they are in the $1000+ price range. My favorite of all the e30 bumper options is the early euro-bumper with mtech apron look. Even over the late model plastic bumper.

I am not a flashy person. I enjoy cars as they were made at the time of production. I hope you all learn something in this process; I knowI will. Pictures to follow.

Other dream projects:
    -e-9 resto
    -2002 outlaw build
    -VW Karmann Ghia (I know not BMW, but I would thoroughly enjoy doing it)
    Any one in the RTP NC area hit me up for free labor on these projects.
Working...
X