1991 BMW 318IS build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by industrious View Post

Has anyone else had gas line/tank problems? I am considering doing an aluminum fuel tank where the spare goes after I cut out the sheet metal and doing braided lines under the car to remove the cruddy looking fuel lines. Anyone else have any ideas?
    All the feed and return fuel lines on a 318iS are high pressure 8x13. They are most likely just old and rotten. Not that hard to replace.

I would not put a non fuel cell in the spare tire well. You loose all the crush zone BMW built into the car.

Good luck.

Comment

Has anyone else had gas line/tank problems
      If the lines near the tank are in bad shape, the soft lines under the intake (2" sections) and the soft lines between the fuel rail and hard lines should be replaced. When I refreshed the "mess under the intake", all my soft fuel lines were cracked and seeping vapor. Pick up new OEM clamps while you're at it.

Comment

The fuel lines are inexpensive and easily replaced. And if the tank is rusty or has other issues, it too can be purchased new for around $150. Much less expensive and less labor intensive than what you're asking about.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
        Eric Giles
        '20 M2 CS
        '04 M3
        '11 X5 35D
        '87 325is
        '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

I understand that it would be much easier just to replace the tank and lines but I want to make things difficult. I don't like the idea of replacing the tank with a cheap tank, nor do I want to splurge $980 for a new OEM tank. So I have an idea to add an aluminum fuel cell to the inside of the trunk (where the spare was), weld up a plate to block the holes between the rear bulkhead and the passenger compartment, run AN fuel lines in the factory position and create a barrier to protect them from the elements under the car. I plan to do some form of swap in the future though I have not decided on what exactly. My thoughts for moving the tank back further from its current position is to put more weight on the wheels as well as help balance the added weight of the front. Am I crazy for going about it this way?
          2008 E92 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic DCT Carbon Roof
          1991 E30 318IS Sterling Silber
          BMW CCA 531095

Comment

Am I crazy for going about it this way?
            My personal opinion? Yes.

But what are your future intentions for this car? You mention a swap, but are you thinking of making it a full on track car at some point? That is really the only scenario where I feel a different fuel tank would make any sense.

The $150-160 fuel tank would be absolutely just fine for almost any use. Have the inside treated before installation if you want to ensure longevity.
            Eric Giles
            '20 M2 CS
            '04 M3
            '11 X5 35D
            '87 325is
            '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

I just bought a brandy new Spectra tank for $150 and it's perfectly usable. The only noticeable differences were that the paint color was silver, the larger vent hose/expansion tank outlet is a slightly different angle, and no drain plug. The time it would take to clean the sludge out of mine was far more than my time is worth, and that is the only reason I replaced it. Had it been clean overall I would have just done the high pressure rubber lines. On top of that Grassroots Motorsports put together a 325is using a Spectra tank and it worked just fine for all the racing they threw at it.

Comment

Working...
              X