Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont even know where to begin type of e30

Hello Rev,

So i finally bought in last October/November and decided to get myself my "project car," and what a project shes been.. Im no mechanic but ive done basic maintenance on my e90 like oil changes, belt replacements, brakes and rotors, etc.. But ive always had a sweet spot for the e30 coupes. I finally came across a definite project but i think i was just so excited to own one i couldnt pass up the opportunity to buy. Not having a lot of money i wasnt looking to buy an e30 that ran, i wanted the challenge of the rebuild. So i found a 1985 BMW 325e on Craigslist here in Sacramento, i really didnt want the aluminum bumpers but whatever, a little bumper tuck helps a lot, but figured ill get the older model e30 some years down the line. I went and looked at a few farther away from me that would have been ideal, but then the cost of towing was gonna hurt my pocket. The guy wanted $500 i think, he called me a few days after i looked at it and really wanted to get rid of it, which now i understand why. I told him id take it off him for $200. Deal, had pink slip and keys i was good. Found another guy on craigslist who would tow it across town for $50. $250 for my dream project car, i was sold. I mostly looked for rust and any frame damage. As any car 30 years old, there was minor rust but nothing serious. But i didnt look too in depth into most of the junk laying around. All the interior was stripped, which was fine, i planned on having it stripped regardless, he beat me to it. But all the interior was included except the rear seat.

P.S. - Pictures will come on next post off the phone. Youll all enjoy the hunk of metal i bought.

Heres just a small list of things ive done since i purchased the car.

There was no alternator when i finally got it home, purchased an alternator..
    Did a full AC delete and heater core delete.
    Replaced new spark plug wires, spark plugs, and ignition coil.
    Oil change
    Lots of body work. hammering and bonding dents out and sanding the whole car down slowly but surely(the most time consuming part of this project).
    I just replaced all the fuses.

among other things i cant remember off the top of my head.

When i bought it i asked the guy if he had any idea why it didnt run just so i didnt go back over the same steps he did already. He said it just wasnt getting any spark. So i examined the spark plug wires and igition coil, the tip that plugs into the ignition coil had broke off in the coil... (obvious i needed a new set of wires) and i just purchased the coil as well just because. I have not tested for spark since i replaced all that, kinda just assumed it would have it now (but i do need to test it).

I felt like i never heard the fuel pump coming on so i now assumed it was a fuel issue. After jumping the battery today from my other vehicle, i jumped the relay from 30 to 87 and i could hear it turn on back there. once i turned my vehicle off i could get the click at the relay when jumping but then the fuel pump wasnt turning on.. (maybe there wasnt enough juice once i turned my other car off)??

New to dealing with a DMM but i keep hopping from youtube video on testing relays back to other videos on how to use the DMM. Resistance on the relay from 86 - 86 was at like 103. I need to test the voltage from a power source but have yet to do that. So maybe im truley not gettin spark still..

But then again once you see the rats nest of wires in the car, youll laugh. not to mention the numerous things unplugged and missing in the engine bay. And with things missing and me not being the one to pull it, half the time i dont know whats missing. Not sure where the different little electronic boxes are supposed to be plugged in. Guaranteed thats another issue.

But stay tuned for a laundry list of issues and questions. I hope you guys will ride with me to getting the b27 running again so i can prep it for a swap one day. Any help is appreciated. And criticism is accepted, gotta learn some how.

Thanks and enjoy.

The FAQ/DIY section is for staff-approved instructional posts only. Please do not ask questions there. If you don't know where to ask your question, post it in General Technical and we'll move it to the appropriate subforum if necessary. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
    X