New member, 1st E30, looking for a shop to inspect the new purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, 1st E30, looking for a shop to inspect the new purchase

Hello everyone. I picked up a 1990 325i and it is in semi rough condition. No worries, I know what I am getting into. What I do not know is who ( repair shop) is familiar, fair and reputable with the e30 and M20 near me. I am in Riverside, Ca and can just google it but I am interested in real opinions and like to give my work to deserving people. Being Self employed I believe this to be a good way to keep good people in business.

My plan is to build a "do everything car" for fun. I understand the compromises in this decision. I love driving first and foremost and do not mind a spartan interior. My build is going to be as if BMW built an 325 in the manner that Porsche built the 911 RS. A little lighter, a little faster 325. Not a full built race car just better performance than the BMW 325i they sent out.

Vince Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	7254070

Will you be doing the work yourself after it's inspected? Sounds like you have a plan on how you want your car to turn out. Why not just get started with the work you want? A little far from you (I think, idk Cali distances) but Bimmerheads does good engine work and is now doing more e30 related work besides just engines.

I'd say e30s are simplistic so anyone interested in them could inspect their car once they get it on jack stands and start poking around a bit.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
      Will you be doing the work yourself after it's inspected? Sounds like you have a plan on how you want your car to turn out. Why not just get started with the work you want? A little far from you (I think, idk Cali distances) but Bimmerheads does good engine work and is now doing more e30 related work besides just engines.

I'd say e30s are simplistic so anyone interested in them could inspect their car once they get it on jack stands and start poking around a bit.
      This. My e30 is the first car I ever started doing work on myself and its been a massive learning experience for me. Love every second of it .
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

bimmerheads is good but a little ways away. Offset Motorworks is a little closer, and run by Mitch, who's a good dude.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Good points you made. I did buy this car to do some work myself. I will say though as a very busy remodeling contractor my time is better spent on what I am an expert at. I am a "do er" as they say. This car will need an engine overhaul and if I were retired I would jump in and do it. That will be the next phase of my life. For now, a local shop ( inland empire, Pomona, Ontario, east Orange county ) that is competent would be the right fit.

When its time I will do a full interior redo, suspension and bushings myself. I have built a Porsche 914-6 ( note, engine done by an expert not me ) back in 2005 so I can get around a car somewhat. That car is sold, improved and ran in VARA for a few years.

Thankful for any advice,

Vince

Comment

Following. Weight reduction is the cheapest HP you can add. Will be interested to see where this goes.

Comment

I'm the classic car tech at Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa, we're a bit far from Riverside, but we love e30's here and have lots of experience with them. We'd love to check it out and get you pointed in the right direction!
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Hoonigans in 1hr and 15min from you.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by adamha View Post
                    Following. Weight reduction is the cheapest HP you can add. Will be interested to see where this goes.
                    Agree. hood, trunk, interior sound deading, carpet, seats and some glass will be replaced with lighter materials.

Comment

Working...
                    X