Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to be E30 325i owner

Good morning,

Just like to say, how much of a pleasure it is to join the r3v community, gained so much through your database it really helps.

I just came back from Stuttgart after seeing a nice 1990 E30 325i. It is a 4 door, with ABS, climate control and factory LSD, those are what i was looking for. The car is Swiss Spec, the original owner moved to Germany in the mid 90s and imported the car, sold it to a German lady and she owned the car from around 2007 till 2015.

The car has a rebuilt engine, due to the common cylinder head cracking, the owner decided to replace the bottom end bearings, as well as a new head, cam and valves. Ironically, no new clutch was installed or transmission re-sealed. But all the common items such as water pup, thermostat, timing belt, front ball joints, rear subframe bushings were replaced.

The paint is diamond black metallic (i think it is code 181)with grey leather interior and sports eats (non recaros).

Car is in a relatively good condition, a couple of rusted areas that i can tackle without issues (just time), however during the drive, i noticed a really heavy and strange biting clutch pedal. When i found out the clutch was never replaced, i know this is something that needs to be done. The transmission is leaking (top and rear seal), so might as well get that done as well, maybe a Z3 short shift and new linkage bushings, maybe a lightened steel flying (stock lightened) since i do not want something too light, car will be my daily and will see 5-6 track days during spring and fall season.

Things i plan on replacing, just to make it as reliable as possible as a daily:

Timing belt, water pump + gasket and tensioner: reason for this is because there is a slight noise when cold coming front the front that goes away when warm, guess the pump impeller is hitting something.

All new coolant hoses, fan clutch, fan and maybe a radiator (still deciding).

There is some oil spot on the side of the block, either someone spilled oil when filling, or the oil filter housing is leaking. That area needs to be cleaned and observed.

All new vacuum lines.

Tune up kit: Coil, ignition, distributor, air filter etc will be replaced, despite they were replaced recently, i really do not trust many people unless i do everything myself.

Tie rods need replacing BUT i may upgrade to a Z3 rack + rods for direct bolt on and faster rack.

All new engine sensors (TPS sensor, coolant, fan switch, O2 etc)

All new wheel bearings (original never replaced)

One metal fuel pipe from the filter to the engine is rusted, will replace that (looks cosmetic).

Bilstein B8 sprint w/H&R sport springs (stock M suspension, while damping is fine, the springs are rusted and one rear spring looks like it is slightly collapsed). This setup should be a compromise between track and daily, unless you have other thoughts.

H&R 22mm front + 18mm rear (this is what we have in Germany, and they are adjustable, stock is rusted).

Clutch replacement w/transmission reseal and rear engine seal + pilot bearing, combined with Z3 short shift and new bushings for linkage. May also replace the slave since it is the original as well.

Rust repair: Not too bad, nothings serious but better get them done asap before it spreads.

Summer and winter tires would need replacing end of this season, new 205/55/15 winter and 205/50/15 summer will be ordered.

Above are what i believe the car needs to be a reliable daily on the street for years to come, unless i have missed something.

When that is done, my plan for track is to run 15x8 ET 20 wheels wrapped with 225/45/15 Nankang AR1s (there is a company called Pro one that makes those wheels weighing in at 6.6kgs, an eccentric hub ring to bring down the hub to match would be needed), unless you recommend something else?

Brake discs and pads are new as well as resealed/rebuilt calipers. For the track, SS lines, Castrol SRF react and pads would be replaced (unsure which brand pads yet). I may add a couple of hoses to draw air in to cool the brakes.

Seats: I like to keep as much OE BMW parts as possible, but we all know that can not be applied to light seats for track. Bucket seats are a maybe for me, to daily bucket seats and drive 6+ hours across EU for track days will break my bottom and my back. Maybe a compromise such as reclining seats insead to balance comfort and behind held in place.

I guess this is it, will slowly restore the paint, some chips here and there, external mirrors need to be repainted. Probably wet sanding and polish (original 28 year old paint).

As i said, it is generally between good and very good condition considering 208,000 kms. I calculate parts to make it reliable daily to be around €1,500 and a lot of labour from my side. The upgraded shocks, springs, bars etc are a different matter, looks like a fun winter project, here are some pics from the ad.

Again thank you, if you have any recommendations/suggestions to my list above, please add them i like to do things right the first time.

ps: Despite an aftermarket radio, the original Becker head unit + 6 CD changer is there. Also getting 15x7 ET12 OZ racing wheels that came with the car (basically a set of winter BBS 15x7 and OZ summer wheels).

I apologise, i forgot to mention a few things.

Running camber plates are illegal in Germany, unless the manufacture supplies them with coil overs or you pay big bucks at TÜV to get them "legalized".

For this reason, i am considering either offset stock front mounts to give some camber, or E36 M3 mounts (did not do too much research, just heard they fit).

I also plan on getting rear toe and camber eccentric kit, for obvious reasons. Rear shocks will sit on E46 M3 top mounts (heard it is a nice upgrade).

Comment

Great find! Sounds like you're very acquainted with every detail of this car, and it's history.
      Welcome to the club!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
      monoblanco
      www.passportsoccer.com

Comment

Working...
      X