Ze Beamer - A 318i Turbo story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ze Beamer - A 318i Turbo story

So I am not sure how interesting this is for most of you but after reading through countless of build threads I thought I would share my build also.

I worked at a BMW dealership for a few years before I went to uni and always really liked the old beamers. So when going to uni I desided is about time to start spending money and buy a car. Which I did. A pretty rusty 318i with about 200k km on the odometer. Yes km, I'm from the Neterlands/Holland so this thread will be in metric. That is was time to buy a car when going to uni comes also foward from being from Holland. This land is so tiny you dont really need a car to get around.

Enough about me, lets talk cars. The 318i i bought was a good car, after changing all the bushings.. And until, on a rainy day in may , I crashed/four wheel spinned it into a guardrail on a long turn.

One positive on crashing this car back in 2014 was that the taxes on old cars went up. So people sold their cars cheap. So i got another beamer. Ze Beamer (think german accent, and no we dont speak german over here), only for 500 euros.

Happy together! Getting the new car on that location was quite an adventure. It was a 316 with Pierburg carb, the car didnt do anything after half throttle and did only have 4 gears, instead of the 5 that the shiftknob said! That was interesting getting on the highway in evening traffic.

Fast forwarding till today. After fixing up the carb and swapping the 5spd gearbox from the 318i I drove it a lot! To france, to austria, using it for surfing a lot and as a work van. The car drove amazing for 40k kilometers. She however was very slow, stuttering a bit and all the bushings needed upgrading. So i did.

While in there also changed the springs and shocks. Used a cheapo china kit. I dont reccomend it. However the shocks were so bad on the car, everything is an improvement.

Oh yeah, and she was leaking a lot of oil... I mean a lot... A bit of oil pan gasket got lost I found out later. So took the motor out and changed most of the seals.

Finally i was done with it being so slow. So I bought an complete 318i m10 block with all the injection stuff on it. Swapped it all out, except for the head, did not had the time back then. Also no time to take pictures of it i guess. Oh Oh! And I got some bottlecaps for it, it was on steelies and that just didnt do. So I got some bottlecaps, I kinda like them and got some nice tires on there also. Cleaned the car up very nicely in my upinion.

That brings us to current time, and that is that she is rusty! I have been thinking about selling her or restoring her. In the end, there was only one option. Restoring her. She needs more power though! So i descided with maybe one day getting a 2002 a M10 turbo would be pretty cool in there, I would turbocharge the m10. And if that 2002 ever happens, she'll get an m20 of m30 ;D

So a bunch of foto's of the car now and some progression!

The spare block on a stand with the progession on the turbo. Oh yeah I tried to mount the turbo as how it is on the 2002 turbo block.

Rustyyyy

Bumpers are very crusty. New they are very pricy so ill try and fix one with two and then buy only on side. Will paint them black though.. Undercover..

Finally more love, with only two wheels ;)

Hope I didnt bore you too much! Got some spare time next week so i hope to do some work.
    Last edited by rijlaab; 04-06-2019, 12:51 PM.

Looks like progress, and interesting to see some M10 love.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Looks like progress, and interesting to see some M10 love.
      Yeah im very interessed in how the turbo Will affect the drivebility but well see :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) plus met Tapatalk

Comment

So I tried fixing a rear bumpersection. Halfway though i stoppen because it was too rotten. Then took off the front bumper which looked better then the rear. It was also very crusty.

One of the support brackets broke off, so made a new one. Then i took off all the rust and put on some rust preventative. Will try and source new front and rear bumpers but for the time being i can reuse the front and get a used or new rear.

Then started tearing in the front because there is some rust in de front of the wheelwells and at the jackstands i want to address.

Also the left front fender is damaged so will get a replacement. And when i was in there i found out IT has some damage to the front. Thinking about replacing it maybe #racecar so might just live with a crooked frontend.

Looks pretty badass without the front!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) plus met Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X