M3: DTM replica airbox project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3: DTM replica airbox project

I posted this on s14.net but I figured you guys might be interested as well since everyone loves a project :D

I purchased the Maxx Alpha N piggy back setup a few years ago on a group buy to get rid of the AFM and free up some much needed midrange torque. I built an intake to replace the factory airbox and AFM setup with a 4" intake and K&N filter cone but never got around to installing it.... well a group buy showed up for the CF or FG DTM replica airboxes at the beginning of this year so I decided if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right ;)

I also picked up the Innovate XD16/LC-1 wideband O2 and guage. I'm still working on a mounting solutoin for this as I'm not happy with the current ash tray mount and I could not get the center vents out of the dash to mount it there.... so long story short I have an A pillar pod setup coming to see if I can cut it down to 1 guage and make it look decent. I want the gauge to be nearer my field of vision, but not look like ass when installed.

Below is a copy of my other post:

So I hope this post answers some questions about the airbox install that I wasn't able to find pictures of and some tips that may help speed up the install for the next person.

First we have the JedM3/ Performance Specialities airbox, I'm sure you've seen pictures of this before but it's my turn to "bore" you with them ;)

Overall very nice construction. Exposed carbon fiber on the top, painted black on the bottom. The vacuum ports are a little farther back towards the firewall then on other boxes I've seen. The flange area is nicely constructed, dead flat and the bolt holes are reinforced. Now the down side: The holes do not line up exactly and the one closest to the fire wall is too small. I had to enlongate all the holes in various directions to get the box to line up correctly and drill out and remove the reinforcement for the last mounting hole closest to the firewall (this is due to to the large shaft size of the base of the lasted threaded bolt.

Now we have the intake portion that mounts to the fire wall. Very nice piece with an included reinforcement for the air temp sensor (drilling location noted by the white spot)

and the reverse area inside:

The thing I didn't find covered is length of hose to cut for the vacuum hose. The front line off the ISV need to be cut and added too, the line from the rear can be simple lengthened. I'm sure there are different ways to do this, below is my solution:

Front ISV connection rough cut:

Rear connection:

and the test fit in place:

You will also note above the relocated dipstick tube. This was a challenge as it didn't want to bend/move by hand. Using a long philips screwdriver inserted in place of the dipstick, it was easy to rotate it towards the front of the engine bay and out of the way of the airbox. No bending was required of the tube, only to the mounting bracket itself.

The filter solution:

After seeing some pics of a fram filter modified to fit, I decided to go this route. Below is how I modified the fliter to fit tightly in the intake. Since the intake has a few angles, some extensive cutting was required to get the filter to fit inside and tight. The black duct tape is to direct air to the filter portion vs. going around the edge. Next step is to do the same to the K&N filter I picked up.

And lastly, the question of will a sparco bar fit.... seems to be hit and miss, but mine clears the box by about a 1/4"

Alpha N install went well and it fired right up after a big help from my friend Mike who installed the correct USB/Serial adapter driver (spent more time then I like with computers trying to find out why the Maxx program kept crashing my laptop when I would try to communicate with the piggyback).

Now it's off to the dyno to get it fine tuned :)
    Chris
    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Pretty badass! Too bad someone doesn't make something like this for the M20. :D

Comment

Suscribed. So what was the total cost of materials from Jed? and then how much was it to get the Alpha N setup properly?

Comment

My brother has that or similar setup. He is running ITG filter there.
        '96 328is
        '97 m3
        '04 zhp

Comment

Nice Cramer! I got my airbox in the last group buy with John, so its the MAXX version. I am running a MAP-ECU computer on mine instead of the alpha-n unit. I am happy with it, but I need to control spark to extract the maximum out of the box now, I wasn't too thrilled with my dyno numbers but something was a-miss... The sound is awesome though!
          I found a fram filter that is a direct bolt-on, but my front snorkel has a filter mount unit that goes in front of the tube you have so it is inside the bumper area.. What was the final cost of that replica box?
          '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
          '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
          '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
          iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
          sigpic

Comment

the box was $1050 plus the install kit ($1300 total). I do not have a cost for the dyno time yet (will soon hopefully) to fully tune the alpha n. I expect to pay shop rates for a couple hours.

Ryan -If you get the filter kit from Maxx-John, he sells an additional filter housing that you are describing. This modified filter setup goes inside the snorkel on the inside of the engine bay. Not ideal, but it will work.
            Chris
            90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Chris you got the air box for under $1300?
              15 or 17cm runners?

and what about your oil filter, did you relocate it or is it still accessible from under the air box.

thanks bro.

EDIT: i should really read before i ask questions.
              Last edited by YAN-3; 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

good question about the length, I think it's the smaller version....

as for the filter I left it stock. There is room to get your hand in there and if it proves too difficult (have to remove the intake to change the oil) then i'll look into the relocation kit. So far I have not seen a solution that I like for relocating the filter so I'll be doing my best to leave it stock!
                Chris
                90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Very nice! Would love to see the results from the dyno.

Comment

Originally posted by cramer View Post
                    good question about the length, I think it's the smaller version....

as for the filter I left it stock. There is room to get your hand in there and if it proves too difficult (have to remove the intake to change the oil) then i'll look into the relocation kit. So far I have not seen a solution that I like for relocating the filter so I'll be doing my best to leave it stock!
                    thats what i was thinking too. with the 15cm runners i think a regular Sparco bar will clear it, and as for the oil filter, I want to leave it stock too. Ive seen people do the relocation up to the front above the ABS pump and motor, don't really like the idea of that. let us know if you can get your hand under the air box, maybe if you just remove the snorkel, as long as i can get a hand on it i think ill be good to take it off and on.

PS: I can only imagine what it sound like now, all that air being sucked through those runners. ooooo-la-la,

Comment

Ran it around the block for the first time and the provided fuel map turned out to be decent (AFRs at high 14s at idle and up to mid 12s in the higher RPMs and WOT). And yes, it sounds just mean when you open it up :D
                      Chris
                      90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

My box wasnt even close to running my Sparco bar. Nice writeup though man. I love repeat: LOVE the sound it makes. Fucking scares people. It overtakes the exhaust sound. SOUNDS LIKE REAL DTM CAH!!! haha

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                        1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                        1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

Some updated pics:

The K&N 33-2051 modified to fit the intake:

And after a lot of trial and error, I finally got the gauge mounted where I wanted it.

Car is tuned and running well, still need to head back to the original dyno for a before/after comparison and further tweek my cold start as it's a bit lean at idle until fully warmed up.
                          Chris
                          90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                            Pretty badass! Too bad someone doesn't make something like this for the M20. :D
                            it would have to include the ITB setup, and would end up costing ~$4k. they would sell about 1 unit to m20'd e30 guys. and that 1 person would be like Vlad on one of his many project cars.
                            IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Good work!!!
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X