The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
    unfortunately no, parts havent shipped yet. they are paid for and ordered though.
    they are already on the way. i shipped them weds or maybe tuesday. i dont recall.
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

got a box o parts. reassembled what i could. taking it down to the groupie garage here hopefully next week and see what kind of damage we can do to it.

im going to start researching local body shops here soon to get into the rust issues.

Comment

getting loaded up to go to the Groupie Garage:

and at its final spot for hopefully only a short while:

might not be much of a post, its just nice to see it out of my garage. hopefully only a few short weeks and ill be able to drive it home. if all this doesnt pay off and i cant get the motor going youll be seeing a post for a s14 for sale, in parts of course.

Comment

Thanks for takin up my driveway while I was out with your pile-o-s14.

Hah, I kid, I kid. I will have a look tomorrow and come up with a game plan. Should take only a couple weeks if that, just depends on work schedules.

Now I gots 2 fuh raze cars in mah driveway biatch! ;)
          sigpic

Comment

fuuuuuuuh razzzzzzzzzzzzze. looks good sitting there though, like salt and pepper lmao.

Comment

WOW! Looking great so far.

Comment

progress!!
                cams installed today, mocked up the cam gears/sprockets. made a better game plan as far as reassembly goes. going to start with the bottom end bits i.e. oil pump, pan, gaskets. then move to the timing chain guides etc and finish off with all the rest of the bits. i got the first set of early model "groupie tails" installed but it was to dark to get a pic of em.

the downside, discovered the subframe has been welded, possibly more than once.....agh

final issue: does anyone know what the EVO exhaust cam gear is marked with? my stock sprocket was marked A 100, and so was the EVO gear i got from Turner. im confused.

Comment

good luck getting the timing chain installed. ;)

First: Crank, bearings, lower pan, etc.
                  Then: Timing chain rails, chain install
                  Next: Head install
                  Next: Cam tray install
                  Next: Cam install w. timing chain
                  Then: Timing chain tensioner

You won't be able to get the chain installed correctly, without slack in it's current layout.

HTH,
                  Chris
                  Below the radar...

Comment

Did the M3s use the same subframe as the regular E30s?

Those welds look better than some of the factory chassis welds on my '77 Corvette. I think GM hired wounded monkeys who were high on acid to weld frames in those days.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post

You won't be able to get the chain installed correctly, without slack in it's current layout.

HTH,
                      Chris
                      I was thinking the same thing when I saw his pics...hate to say it, but it looks like some things are going to have to come apart again.
                      Eric Giles
                      '20 M2 CS
                      '04 M3
                      '11 X5 35D
                      '87 325is
                      '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

wow. me and my bro thought of buying this car. but i knew i wouldnt have more than 15k to restore her. heck i was barely reaching the money for purchase. lololol.

seriously though..
                        very pleasing to see that shes going to the right hands and will be taken care of.

have fun!!!

weekend warrior!

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post

HTH,
                          Chris
                          How does the cam box and cams installed, effect the lower pan install? The head never came off, nor did the block come apart. All that is being done to the bottom, is pan gasket replacement. Then we are putting on the new chain and guides.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                            How does the cam box and cams installed, effect the lower pan install? The head never came off, nor did the block come apart. All that is being done to the bottom, is pan gasket replacement. Then we are putting on the new chain and guides.
                            I was stating the way I would personally attack this.
                            Having the bottom end left open to the elements, even with just the front timing covers off doesn't leave me with any confidence in any of the bearings/gaskets/etc. in the bottom end.

My point being, the way the engine sits right now, you'll be taking things apart again to install the timing chain & guides properly.

I don't mean to sound presumptuous or arrogant, but I assume this is the first time for either of you working on a S14 in "rebuild/reassmble" mode?

Just my $.02 observation...

-CL
                            Below the radar...

Comment

keep up the good work...i wanna see my lip spoiler running down the road soon...

Comment

Originally posted by guitardude View Post
                                keep up the good work...i wanna see my lip spoiler running down the road soon...
                                thought about putting it on, but right now it would get in the way, and that splitter with bone stock suspension would just not look right.

Comment

Working...
                                X