The/My 88 M3 antfarm/rustbucket rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
    thought about putting it on, but right now it would get in the way, and that splitter with bone stock suspension would just not look right.
    true true. i need to come up and help one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
      I was stating the way I would personally attack this.
      Having the bottom end left open to the elements, even with just the front timing covers off doesn't leave me with any confidence in any of the bearings/gaskets/etc. in the bottom end.

My point being, the way the engine sits right now, you'll be taking things apart again to install the timing chain & guides properly.

I don't mean to sound presumptuous or arrogant, but I assume this is the first time for either of you working on a S14 in "rebuild/reassmble" mode?

Just my $.02 observation...

-CL
      So explain what has to supposedly come off that we installed, in order to do the chain and guides, and why? The cam sprockets are not installed.
      sigpic

Comment

PROGRESS!!!

upper pan is off, with VERY little effort. steering rack dropped a lil bit. gonna clean it up, maybe hot tank both pans, order some new hardware.

promised pics of the early model groupie tails, not the best pics. but i promise they are glossy as stock tails. the smoked section over the reverse light is not as dark as it shows in the pics. i took the pics almost in direct light on a phone, but you can get a idea.

Comment

Just wanted to ask the experts, can you do the timing cover with the pan installed? I'm a M5X guy, and you *can* but it will compromise the headgasket (head to tcover seal) and oil pan gasket if you do...
          :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
          '93 325iS
          '99 528iT

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X View Post
            Just wanted to ask the experts, can you do the timing cover with the pan installed? I'm a M5X guy, and you *can* but it will compromise the headgasket (head to tcover seal) and oil pan gasket if you do...
            That has to be one of the silliest forms of logic I have ever heard. Are you just mad because you cant borrow my tools? lol
            sigpic

Comment

WOW..thats what happens when e30 m3's fall in the wrong hands. Good thing she found you! best of luck.
              sigpic

Comment

I would ask Cramer about the oil pump chain slack, I know he had to buy some shims for his pump.
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Already sent him a PM.

Just incase anyone is searching for the info later: I've found varing measurements of how much slack is allowed, but the best advice I found is add as many shims as you can until the pulley can still slide on to the pump shaft.
                  Chris
                  90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Thats what my inclination was Chris.

When he got it on and I came over to look at it, I got a little worried with that much play. Almost like he needs a 1/8" shim!
                    sigpic

Comment

I was afraid of that too when I put mine back on, lots of play = huge spacer! But the way to "measure" the slack is to grab both sides of the chain and measure how much it moves inward towards each other. Using that method, even before shims it moved maybe 1/4" inward. It only took a few shims and it barely moves a 1/8" inward.. but if you push on one side, it moves a lot! The pulley becomes really difficult even after a few shims to get back on the pump. Just play with the different shim combos to see what suits it best.
                      Chris
                      90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

this thing done yet? ;)
                        Chris
                        90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

I think he got around to ordering those shims sometime last week. Should see them by the end of August. :)
                          sigpic

Comment

ha! Should use BMA, I get parts in a few days :P
                            Chris
                            90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Me too. I secretly love Patrick. ;)
                              sigpic

Comment

+1 about pat.

Looks like some good progress dude. Keep it up and get it done!
                                -Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X