1986 BMW 325es - status thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 BMW 325es - status thread

I bought my car a few months ago with about 146k miles. It now has about 151k. I've upgraded several items, but there are still several more items to replace before it's "perfect". This is a status thread.

151,200 miles on my 1986 325es.

Problems:
    - needs a valve adjustment
    - needs a new CSB
    - needs new trailing arm bushings
    - needs new subframe bushings
    - needs to have the bellhouse guibo cover removed
    - passenger-side front brake pad is loose
    - needs new oil pan gasket and bolt

nice to haves:
    - new audio system
    - E36 window switches
    - Z3 antenna
    - 5-lug swap
    - new brakes
    - hardware V1 radar detector
    - 35% tint all around, 60% tint front windshield

fixes since making this post:
    10/12/08 - fixed the biggest coolant leak. I need to tighten the coolant drain bolt on the bottom of the radiator and this should be completely gone. a pulley gashed a hose, so I duct taped it to hell. Leakage fixed
    10/13/08 - installed new hoses (that were actually too small) and t-nozzle for windshield wiper system. Need to clean the windshield fluid tank and install it back into the engine bay, and this is done
    Last edited by HardTech; 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM.

looks like a solid example to build upon.

Comment

10/14/08 - Cleaned the engine bay with a brush and simple green. Looks a lot cleaner now. Vacuum hoses are still leaking, so I bought new hoses online. Also, the windshield wiper system doesn't work for whatever reason. Need to buy bigger hoses and a better T-nozzle

Comment

10/18 - Valves are ticking slightly, so I do a valve adjustment. Afterwards, they tick louder.
        10/19 - Another valve adjustment... slightly quieter, but still louder than before. Fuck. I'm going to drive around like this until the engine dies. Commencing search for new engine.

Comment

20's on a Buick?
          '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VAPORBLADE View Post
            20's on a Buick?
            it's been sitting there for 2 months now... I think the engine died

Comment

10/20 - Car is out of coolant. Duct tape sealant is failing. Car almost overheats coming home from work (3 miles).
              10/21 - Installed new accessory belts, vacuum hoses, and clamps. Coolant light came on again, but it might be just low coolant levels after getting coolant in the engine and through the hoses. No leaks detected so far.

Comment

10/22 - FUCK! Another coolant leak.

Comment

If your pulley is cutting through the hose you probably need new motor mounts. Very clean eta. I would not change to a z3 antennae though.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                    If your pulley is cutting through the hose you probably need new motor mounts. Very clean eta. I would not change to a z3 antennae though.
                    why not the Z3 antenna? I think it makes it look a lot better.

The pulley put a hole in the hose because I put the hose on backwards. Now, everything is fine, but there's just a leak coming from one of the hoses. I'm starting to get really frustrated; I've tightened all the bolts, made sure the hoses were on all the way, tightened brand new hose clamps on them... then I see the Coolant light in the morning

ugh

Comment

10/23 - YES! Fixed the coolant leak! Drove a few miles with no incident!

Comment

The coolant sensors are crap. Some times you can take it apart and re solder the crapy wiring. I bought a brand new one and it corroded itself to retardedness within six months.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                          The coolant sensors are crap. Some times you can take it apart and re solder the crapy wiring. I bought a brand new one and it corroded itself to retardedness within six months.
                          fortunately, mine is working well. The coolant light hasn't come on for a few days now.

Unfortunately, a new noise popped up from somewhere in the engine. I'm thinking it's a loose valve or a broken rocker arm, but the weird thing is I can feel it in the clutch when I push it in. It's a weird noise that happens maybe 4 or 5 times a second.. more when I rev.

Comment

Working...
                          X