Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winnie - A 1984 323iA Metal Bumper Work In Progress

Backstory:
    Back in 2016, I found myself jobless after the agency I was employed under decided to go =bust. After bumming for a couple o' months surviving on the occasional freelance job, I figured enough was enough, and that I should get my life back on track. What better way than to pick up a potential money burner of a project car? Having owned my 'Moardoor' E30 for longer than I should, I was on the lookout for a model with two less doors. Hence began the nationwide search for the elusive perfect candidate. More than a couple of failed viewings later, I soon realised that every E30 had its share of flaws, it was just a matter of finding one with less. Enter Winnie.

My love-hate affair with Winnie began one evening on an interstate bus, as I was returning from yet another rust bucket viewing, was casually scrolling on Facebook when I stumbled upon a post of an E30 for sale. Messaged the guy who was not the seller, but merely a messenger and a viewing was arranged for the following day.

The story of the car was that the owner purchased it second hand, painted it, slapped on new tyres and sent it to the mech for a E36 steering rack swap - where it was hoisted up and remained for more than a decade. And was eventually lowered down when the workshop was forced to relocate.

Over ten years of dust and neglect was evident, but she had a battery tray which wasn't rotted - quite a rare sight around here. That's a good sign right?

Connected a battery but didn't attempt cranking.

A deal was struck and arrangement were made to tow the car to a friend and fellow E30 enthusiast's workshop.

Getting It Running

First order of thing was to change the decade-old oil, fill 'er up with some gas, and take it for a spin right? Wrong! Oil filter decided to fuse itself to the block, rendering impossible to remove and had to hacked and mutilated to remove it.

15-year old gas turns into gunk. Didn't know petrol could react like this. Time to flush the crud out of the tank, which is easier said than done.

To be Continued...
    Last edited by Raja_Mongkut; 03-21-2020, 08:42 PM.

Ah the joys of returning vehicles to the road!

Let the journey begin.
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

With the fuel tank clogged with gunk, it was safe to assume that the fuel pump and injectors would have suffered the same fate, so a spare set of injectors were rebuilt, and a cheap aftermarket fuel pump was sourced.

Added some fresh fuel to the tank, cranked it for a bit andd... It's alive!!! Condensation from the exhaust is a good sign of good combustion.

With the engine started, we can now move on less critical areas ie. scrubbing down the disgusting door cards

Decade-old rubber is brittle rubber. So the mountings, timing belt and wear and tear items are replaced.

Powdercoated thermostat housing and timing belt covers to go with the new water pump.

Intake manifold removed to clean it of the crud and build up.

Brittle connectors replaced with cooler black coloured ones.

Freshly coated intake manifold with injectors

New gaskets

Last edited by Raja_Mongkut; 03-21-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Good job on bringing it back, looks like a promising start and all that looking at listings has paid off.
        Looks like the car has an aftermarket AC system installed, much like the ones fitted in Italy back in the day. Didn't see the switch though, how does it engage?
        '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
          Good job on bringing it back, looks like a promising start and all that looking at listings has paid off.
          Looks like the car has an aftermarket AC system installed, much like the ones fitted in Italy back in the day. Didn't see the switch though, how does it engage?
          Thanks! Quite a few E30's in our country did not come equipped with a HVAC system from the factory. And since it's summer all year long here, all we really need is the AC. So most E30's are retrofitted with a underdash evaporator unit. Simple yet easy to wire up and troubleshoot. The AC is wired to turn on with the blower fan switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51V5uriVHJL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	9912339

Comment

Seats were given a deep clean to remove years of caked on dust.

Seems like they turned out pretty well.

Lifted the valve cover to be greeted with a head coated in golden brown varnish. Doesn't look too bad. Valve cover gasket replaced.

Freshly coated powder coated valve cover.

Looks more like a proper engine now.

Afternarket auxiliary fan fitted.

Need to do something about those sagging seats. To be continued...
            Last edited by Raja_Mongkut; 03-21-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

First sip of fresh gas. And yes, I drove it to the gas station hoodless.

MSport 10mm Lowering Springs

Much nicer stance already

After getting the car running and nicely stanced, it was time to move on from making circles in the parking lot to actually driving it on tarmac.

Unfortunately we chose a gloomy wet day for a drive, so the sunlight wasn't fantastic.

Last edited by Raja_Mongkut; 03-21-2020, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Please enjoy some pics taken with my period-correct Mamiya RB67 Medium Format camera.

Comment

Working...
                X