‘87 325is paint restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘87 325is paint restoration

First time caller long time listener here. Was seeking some of the group’s collective wisdom on my project. I’ve got an ‘87 325is delphin/cardinal rust free accident free perfect condition dash with only 76k on the clock that I bought from the original owner. I drove it back to LI from West Virginia and just did timing belt, water pump, thermostat, crank/cam seals, valve adjustment, tranny and diff flush.

I believe I have original paint that is in salvageable condition on the fenders, hood, and door, but totally shot on roof and trunk and was looking for some guidance on how best to approach the repaint? Good paint is consistently between 4.5-5.5 mils thick on the sides and hood and roof and trunk are more 3-4 mils. I want to keep the car as original as possible so I was thinking I would repaint the hood and trunk, wet sand the rest, then do a full coat of clear. Any flaw to my logic from anyone with experience? From what I understand, the delphin metallic is 2 stage and I’m seeing some clearcoat failure.
    Attached Files
Working...
X