419 out of 2,000,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

419 out of 2,000,000

In an area (north central and central Illinois) that services over two million people, we had 419 jobs.

This is in comparison to our one shop, in one town, which on a normal day would be getting 60-80 jobs. That's not in addition to the two other contractors AND in-house employees.

Yay economy!
    "Our mother of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."

I'd like to welcome the rest of the country to my world. I have lived in Youngstown, OH all of my life. We have the worst economy in the country (actual fact). I'm almost 27 and I still haven't lived in a period of economic growth. All that I have ever seen are dwindling jobs and population numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
      I'd like to welcome the rest of the country to my world. I have lived in Youngstown, OH all of my life. We have the worst economy in the country (actual fact). I'm almost 27 and I still haven't lived in a period of economic growth. All that I have ever seen are dwindling jobs and population numbers.
      move somewhere else??

Comment

Just stay put. The welfare is on it's way.
        - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
          move somewhere else??

I wish it was that simple, but my situation is very complicated. My family runs a small tool and die shop and we're in the process of restructuring and turning it around. We all had to move in together and live off of savings because we couldn't get paid for a few years. Also, it's critical for us to be here because steel, heat treating, grinding services are plentiful and all have free delivery in less than 24 hours. Our competitors in other parts of the nation have to pay through the nose for that stuff. I'm looking to move to the Tenn/NC area in the next 4-5 years after we finally get things turned around. I just want to live somewhere that has a younger group of people. I can count on one hand the average number of people I see everyday between the ages of 18-35.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            move somewhere else??
            move into a different industry?

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
              move into a different industry?

That will happen one day as well. Right now, there is only one way out from under the shoe of Uncle Sam and that is to make profit, which we are now doing very well. It could be happening even sooner than expected because we are now being looked at for purchase by a company from the Netherlands. We're small, but in our industry, we're the most technologically advanced and have the highest quality in the world.

Comment

what kind of service are we talking about anyways? Automotive? Things have picked up at my cousin's shop quite a bit. People are now having to spend money to maintain and/or repair their cars as opposed to just trading them in...

Comment

We build aluminum extrusion dies. A lot of our work goes in to large architectural structures like the Petronas towers, WTC and new Freedom tower, etc. and just about every airport, stadium and skyscraper built or remodeled in the last 20 years. We also build all of the dies for Kohler shower doors and many other high end window and door manufacturers. Last year we kept busy with work for Donald Trump's newest building and some pro sports stadiums. It's an awesome feeling of pride to go to a city that you have never been to before and see the finished product that came from your own blood, sweat and tears.

Comment

you should bleed less on the dies that gross
                    bring it http://athomasmr23.mybrute.com

Comment

Working...
                    X