its like opening up a can of worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its like opening up a can of worms

It hit me today, that this "end all" conversation tool could have once been linked to something incredibly real and destructive. When used as a simile, the recipient of the phrase may take some offense because they were most likey about to attempt something that could have dire consequences. Perhaps it is used mostly as a warning, but it leaves me scratching my head most of the time. I did a quick search and found the following:

-Wikipedia used large words in its "definition" so I immediately hit the back button on my browser

-idioms.freedictionary.com said it can sometimes be used without the "open up" part, it doesn't sound right to me that way

-google images naturally didn't make sense with a picture of the pope and condom ghosts

Does anyone have any clues where this came from? Has anyone opened a can of worms, only to find it is a very pleasant and tolerable experience? Has anyone ever experienced the horrific consequences of a failed can of worms opening procedure?

lol wut

e24 e9 e30
    IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

Originally posted by teh_activ View Post
      lol wut
      +1 for having no idea what your talking about.

Comment

This is just my own speculation, but...

Maybe it would have originally applied if one were intending to open a can of, say, pineapple chunks, but instead found maggots (worms?) inside? That could be a rather dismaying situation. In this case, expecting one thing and getting a significantly different result?

Or maybe instead it refers to the idea that a can with worms inside wouldn't just open up like a can of corn, but the worms would crawl out and get everywhere. The idea here would be that entering said situation would have consequences that reach out to unintended places.

Or maybe just because it sounds gross?
        Jay

Comment

When you open a can of worms, assuming they are packed to the brim, some will get out. And hunting worms is unpleasant. I guess...
          The Keystone Killers

Originally posted by Cabriolet
          With 73k+ post, you'd think he'd have learned a little about life.

Comment

lol this post is great.
            Instagram
            sigpic
            Current: 99 M3
            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

maybe?

(actually, google completed my thought with its suggestions)

Cliff Notes: Fishermen have told me that the most annoying aspect of opening a can of worms is that, being live bait, they crawl out and are difficult to put back. So there may well be an association with the idea of Pandora's Box, as you suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiocammbodia View Post
                When you open a can of worms, assuming they are packed to the brim, some will get out. And hunting worms is unpleasant. I guess...
                Latin languages will prefer to use "a basket of crabs". "can of worms" is typical anglo saxon.
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Somebody call that show A Way with Words, on NPR and ask them.
                  1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

It's an idiom for an unpleasant surprise. Expecting something good or easy and getting something bad or difficult. The can of fruit example given above is correct.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

i hear in the navy way back in the day dude's were at sea for so long they'd keep a can of worms to bang. feels live like the pussah, and the protein keeps the lil guys alive.

ha!
                      Originally posted by blunt
                      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
                        i hear in the navy way back in the day dude's were at sea for so long they'd keep a can of worms to bang. feels live like the pussah, and the protein keeps the lil guys alive.

ha!
                        grosssss
                        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                        X