The official Linux thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The official Linux thread

So I got tired of Windows being a bitch this week, and decided to put Linux on my laptop.

I rolled out Gentoo, with ATI's radeon drivers, and it's working like a charm.

Who else uses Linux? What distro?

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

I've been a linux junkie for a while now. I've run Mandrake (v3.0, lol), Slackware, Gentoo, Suse, Ubuntu (Desktop and Server builds), Fedora, a couple of Smoothwall boxes, I love it! I have two Ubuntu servers at home right now, one handling all the DNS, DHCP, Squid and the other is a backup server with a 3ware IDE RAID controller and a couple of 750GB drives. Linux is so fun to play with. It really has come a long way just over the few years that I have been using it.
    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

I recently went with Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. It was one of a few that had been ironed out and packaged to support all of the devices, including the Bluetooth transceiver.

It has been waaaay too long. I cut my teeth on SunOS 4.1.1... yeah, back before Solaris was the brand name. I'm glad to say I'm feeling pretty comfortable even though I've been out of the scene for so long. To my own surprise, I found I could divine the correct mounts for my new NAS even though it is geared toward serving CIFS clients... though the true hacker would go make NFS exports on the NAS. That'll be tomorrow's project. ;)
      - Sco

Keep Our City CLEAN & SAFE Do Your Part

Comment

I used to run linux on my laptop until I broke it :(
        cars beep boop

Comment

Have Gentoo on my desktop machine, FreeBSD (yeah, not really Linux) on the apartment's server :), Debian squeeze on my laptop, and at school I'm a sysadmin for the OpenSuSE machines we use. I'm a CS grad student, so being a sysadmin for the CS department is how they "pay me" to go to grad school, even though I'm making grad student money.

Go OSS!

Comment

Originally posted by kommissar View Post
            Have Gentoo on my desktop machine, FreeBSD (yeah, not really Linux) on the apartment's server :), Debian squeeze on my laptop, and at school I'm a sysadmin for the OpenSuSE machines we use. I'm a CS grad student, so being a sysadmin for the CS department is how they "pay me" to go to grad school, even though I'm making grad student money.

Go OSS!
            Nice, thats a good gig. Don't let it slip!
            Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
            Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
              Nice, thats a good gig. Don't let it slip!
              Yeah, it is pretty sweet. The job itself is easy, I get to work on cool projects, and I get paid to be a graduate student. If anyone else is applying to CS graduate school, send me a PM.

Comment

Ubuntu 8.04 on my netbook and Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop.

Waiting for tomorow to grab the 9.04 version :D
                http://emperator.monchar.com/

Originally posted by 87e30
                Increase national debt. Tax a lot... even through deceiving things like this. Pull out of war.

God damn we are turning into Canada. FUCK.

Comment

This weekend I'll be putting Ubuntu onto my laptop, my first venture into the linux territory...
                  Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
                    This weekend I'll be putting Ubuntu onto my laptop, my first venture into the linux territory...
                    Be prepared.
                    Advanded Delphin Division
                    My e30s: 1987 325i/1994 318iT

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      I used to run linux on my laptop until I broke it :(
                      put linux on the mac book!
                      Originally posted by delfin View Post
                      Be prepared.
                      very prepared, lol

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I've been using Linux on/off since kernel 2.0.xx with Slackware distro being my fave.
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

i have Linux Ubuntu, it's pretty cool but im still getting used to it. oh yeh and my zune isn't compatible to it... but my shuffle is lol. it doesn't even need itunes, it came with its own program.
                          Originally posted by scabzzzz
                          Wow. This thread is just full of r3v's elite isnt it? From the college virgin to the racist with an ugly girlfriend to teh mad tyte dorifto guy.. Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by delfin View Post
                            Be prepared.
                            I figure I have friends like you I can call when I blow up my computer...
                            Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Ubuntu SSH server at home and Fedora 10 on my laptop.. I tried Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop but it was very unstable (multiple crashes a day), which is weird because 7.10 on my laptop was rock solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X