Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is charging a car battery in your garage safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is charging a car battery in your garage safe?

Yes or no.
    Yes
    92.68%
    No
    7.32%
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

be sure not to overcharge and gas it - yes

Comment

sure hope so, been doing it for 15 or so years............................

in short........YES
      1987 325i LeChump: H&R Race springs, weight reduction and beat to hell

2005 Mazda RX8: Koni Yellows, Hotchkis FSB, 245 BFG Rivals RTR #11

2011 Mazda CX7 Sport: The family truckster

2001 Buick Park Ave: The DD grandpamobile

1991 Ford F150 XLT 302: camping/towing

Comment

well any lead acid battery new or old will give off some hydrogen while charging just as long as your garage isn't too tiny and has some ventilation i wouldn't worry too much

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
          be sure not to overcharge and gas it - yes
          What does this mean?
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Don't leave it on the charger overnight, check it every few hours for bubbles, and pull the caps off if you can. Oh, and don't be an idiot and spill battery acid on yourself. Put the caps on before you move it.

Comment

safe as long as you don't blow it up....
              Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Don't jump start your battery. Maintain it. CTEK Battery Chargers are the industry-leading, original smart charger and they work on batteries in cars, ATVs, RVs, trucks, boats, motorcycles, and much more. Stop throwing money away on dead batteries with CTEK.
                Originally posted by Simon S
                When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

not "really" safe, why I voted no

when you charge a battery it produces some amount of hydrogen so do it with some ventilation
                  -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                    not "really" safe, why I voted no

when you charge a battery it produces some amount of hydrogen so do it with some ventilation
                    So how's that custom-made full body bubble working out for ya?

My farts are 43% methane gas, but that doesn't prevent me from ordering the #2 lunch special at Mucho Mexico at least once a week.

But I like living on the edge.

Comment

I wish I still had pictures to post. My neighbor was tending his battery with the entire garage closed up, and charging for the third day... house went up in flames. cool to watch, not cool to experience it. Just my two cents.
                      Matt

Comment

if left unattended, leave at trickle charge, 2A at the most.
                        charging batteries produce hydrogen gas. in a huge area like a garage, 1 battery won't be trouble. charging it in your closed trunk is a little riskier but i still do it.. unless something is wrong with the battery it will be fine.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                        If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Tending or charging....?
                          Originally posted by Lof8
                          4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
                          therefore, their value is much greater.
                          Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

Well, I somehow filled my garage with carbon monoxide doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                              Well, I somehow filled my garage with carbon monoxide doing it.
                              It will trip a CO detector for sure if the battery vents. I've been on a number of fire calls for just this reason.

I wouldnt worry too much about it if you just use commom sense. I store my E30(factory lead acid battery) in my lower garage and keep a CTEK charger on it all winter. Thats 5 to 6 months here. No issues. My 4Runner(has 2 yellow top optimas in it) has been sitting in my garage for the last month with a CTEK charger on it, no issues. The Optimas are sealed so there is no issue whatsoever.
                              Originally posted by Simon S
                              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Working...
                              X