Formula SAE West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formula SAE West

A few weeks ago was the Formula SAE competition at the AAA Speedway outside LA. There were over 50 teams from all around the world including Korea, India, Brazil and Columbia. Our car (Oregon State) ended up finishing 2nd overall, with 1st place finishs in the endurance race and the overall dynamic events (the competition has 2 parts, static events and dynamic events). While our car does not use areodynamics, and we're down 20-30 hp on most cars (we use a Honda CRF450 that does about 50hp, other teams use 600cc 4-bangers that do 70-80hp), we also weighed in at 307lbs wet. This meant we were over 100 lbs lighter than the average car there and were nearly as fast as all the high-hp cars with big downforce.

And yes, our car is a carbon-fiber monocoque. It's pretty sick :)

We're taking our car to the Hockenheim ring in Germany in August for their competition, and then to Austria the next week for another. The Germany event is the premier event in the world, attracting the very best teams.

I was lucky enough to get a media photography pass by agreeing to provide my photos to SAE for use on there website, so I thought I'd post up a few here for you all to see. I'm really happy with how they turned out!! FYI i was using a Canon XTi with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

OSU:

driving hard!

Rochester Institute of Technology (they got 1st place :angry:)

Renssellaer Poly:

University of Texas Austin had one of the best looking cars there:

Cal Poly Pamona:

UW. Northwest represent!!

Western Washington:

lockin' it up:

more driving hard!

University of Calgary:

Clemson:

University of Idaho:

University of Illinois:

Auburn:

Kansas:

Kookmin (S. Korea):

Maryland:

Missouri S&T:

Oklahoma:

Cal:

Awesome pics, Darin! I can't believe this is what you get to do AT SCHOOL.

I wish I had known about this program when I first started college.

Comment

I love FSAE, here's our uni's car with vids and timeline etc http://www.fsae.co.nz/

Supercharged Yamaha YZF R6 Engine :D

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

corvallis, i didn't know you went to WEST.
        I talked to a couple of the OSU guys, sorry to hear you guys got jipped.
        anywho, I hope we get to do something like Dalasport this coming year (similar to last year)
        Was that your red late model at comp?

this happened during our second driver's auto X run:

EDIT: nice lens :) and you guys were 307 dry ;)
        Flickr
        Originally posted by Indecline06
        For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
          Awesome pics, Darin! I can't believe this is what you get to do AT SCHOOL.

I wish I had known about this program when I first started college.
          Ditto. I am stuck with a worthless liberal arts degree.

Comment

Nice, congrats on second! We went to the Detroit (MIS) competition this year. FSAE is a great program, but sadly my school, in their infinite wisdom, decided to cancel our program. We generally ran in the mid 20s and 30s ranking-wise, but our budget is basically zero. Was great fun while it lasted though! I'll post up some pics of our past cars when I'm home from work.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Wow, I'll have to do some reading up on this to see if my school has the program available.

Awesome pictures!
              - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
              E36 325i sedan
              E30 325i sedan
              Volvo 945T

Comment

Working...
              X