This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain bikes....

Anyone on here ride? I'm in the market for a new bike, but I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on a bike. I am curious what you guys have to say about what you're riding, what kind of bike, what kind of riding, what you would change and would you buy it again? Thanks for any input
    09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
    87 BMW 325is
    a few bicycles

marin hawk hill...750 w/ 3 warranty covers everything. Nice bike w/ hydraulic brakes..I like it for my first bike

Comment

Used, Craigslist shop around. What type of riding? DH, X-Country, Singletrack?
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        Used, Craigslist shop around. What type of riding? DH, X-Country, Singletrack?
        yea, give us a better idea about what you want to do, then we/I can help better. KHS is a good up and coming company though.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm looking for a bike that can do everything from basic cruising w/ my wife, to single track, xc and being a dick jumping flights of steps.... (not as often as I used to). I just sold my specialized P2 b/c the geometry really did not work for me (except for being a dick and jumping things). I was considering stepping up to a 29'er but they seem to be a decent price jump up from a standard 26" bike. I really want disc (cable or hydraulic), hard-tail is fine and would like front suspension that has lockout ability (or upgrade to one later) for hard climbs or just cruising the street. Every once in awhile, I'll head up to the local ski resort and use their trails (nice single track, slightly technical w/ some decent hills and a few rock gardens :D). I'm 6'0 around 230lbs.... I think that should cover the details I originally left out. Thanks again
          09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
          05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
          87 BMW 325is
          a few bicycles

Comment

Well, sounds like a hardtail would be fine. I used to freeride and do some downhill, as well as some XC. Used to ride a full suspension(GT i-drive).

Since then, I've sold that and got a steel hardtail(Rocky Mountain Hammer). I have nothing but good things to say about the bike and in fact, I have a lot more fun on the hardtail. I built it up myself for about 500 bucks with parts roughly equivalent to what you'd get from the factory.

I prefer a steel hardtail to aluminum because the steel flexes a little more which is nice for trails.

As for disc brakes, hydraulic are nice but don't underrate the avid mechanicals. Very nice system...won't stop you quite as hard as a hayes hydraulic but they are still heads above v-brakes.
            sigpic
            "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

We have an entire thread devoted to bikes, stickied at the top of the page.

Try reading a little bit before you so hastily click on the "new thread" button.

Comment

Working...
              X