No announcement yet.

The Porsche thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out this beauty that was put up on Silodrome.

http://silodrome.com/porsche-911-carrera-rs-3-0/

It's for auction at Sotheby's... expected to fetch around a million.

Love that whale tail. :)

Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

^^ nice. Why isn't that called an RSR? Did that change in '74?

I just saw this ad for a '73 RS.....these ads drive me crazy..

They keep calling it a 1973 RS.....it is NOT a '73, it's a back-dated '83, just come out and say that. "Breathtaking 1973 Porsche 911 RS Backdated Build" WTF?

"...rotisserie restoration process of this remarkable 1973 Porsche RS."
      STAWP!

Signal Orange is not Gulf Orange.

It has the wrong wheel color.

It has a 2.7...badge.....but not the 2.7. It doesn't even have the right induction, but it has "...a properly detailed engine bay." Just the wrong engine is all.

"With only a slight turn of the ignition the 2.7L comes to life..." Am I missing something? Is that not an SC motor in there?

It is "only" $133,000 I realize.

Comment

so what is that exactly? sort of a poor man's singer 911? i would say it looks pretty bad ass but i don't know crap about these cars.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

You mean the one I listed? No, it's far far from anything Singer. It's just a stock '83 shell, backdated with supposedly authentic body panels (hood, latch panel, front fenders, lights & grilles, rear flares, front & rear bumpers), some very expensive accessories and RS bits I'm sure, a 2.7 emblem(!), and a very nice paint job and stickers. They didn't even bother making the engine look like an RS, with MFI. The price seems fair, actually, I'm just annoyed by all the implications in the ad text.

The '73 Carrera RS 2.7 was the peak of the long hood era, a perfectly balanced, fast, lightweight, fantastic car. People have been building fakes and tributes and replicas ever since. The factory meant to build 500 to homologate the RS for racing as the RSR, and Porsche was very worried about selling that many, but it was wildly popular and they sold almost 1600. The Touring version was just under 2400 lbs, the Sports Lightweight was just over 2100 lbs, with 210 hp and instant throttle response.

If you meant estoguy's link, that's a very very rare factory hot rod / race car.

Comment

Some basic wiki to fill in:

1973 Carrera RS 2.7
            This model, valued by collectors, is considered by many to be the greatest classic 911 of all-time. RS stands for Rennsport in German, meaning "racing sport". The Carrera name was reintroduced from the 356 Carrera which had itself been named after Porsche's victories in the Carrera Panamericana races in Mexico in the 1950s.

1974 (big bumpers) Carrera 2.7 MFI (Europe-only)
            The Carrera 2.7 was mechanically identical to the 1973 RS, inheriting its 210 bhp MFI engine and still weighed the same at 2370 lb. It had the wide RS rear wings and also the ducktail for the 1974 model.

In 1974, Porsche created the Carrera RS 3.0 with K-Jetronic Bosch fuel injection producing 230 PS (169 kW). It was almost twice as expensive as the 2.7 RS but offered a fair amount of racing capability for that price. The chassis was largely similar to that of the 1973 Carrera RSR and the brake system was from the Porsche 917.

US 1974-1976 2.7
            The US 911 2.7 was restricted to the 2.7 K-Jetronic engine as the MFI RS engine was banned on emission grounds. Power output was 175 bhp, later being reduced to 165 bhp, and in California 160 bhp.

The well known problem of pulled cylinder head studs with the K-Jetronic 2.7 engine only occurred in hot climates. This emerged in 1975 in California where thermal reactors, aimed at reducing emissions, were fitted below the cylinder heads thus causing heat build up around the magnesium crankcase and then made worse by the lean running K-Jetronic CIS. The fitting of a 5-blade engine fan instead of the usual 11-blade further compounded the situation.
            Last edited by LateFan; 03-02-2017, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              You mean the one I listed? No, it's far far from anything Singer. It's just a stock '83 shell, backdated with supposedly authentic body panels (hood, latch panel, front fenders, lights & grilles, rear flares, front & rear bumpers), some very expensive accessories and RS bits I'm sure, a 2.7 emblem(!), and a very nice paint job and stickers. They didn't even bother making the engine look like an RS, with MFI. The price seems fair, actually, I'm just annoyed by all the implications in the ad text.

The '73 Carrera RS 2.7 was the peak of the long hood era, a perfectly balanced, fast, lightweight, fantastic car. People have been building fakes and tributes and replicas ever since. The factory meant to build 500 to homologate the RS for racing as the RSR, and Porsche was very worried about selling that many, but it was wildly popular and they sold almost 1600. The Touring version was just under 2400 lbs, the Sports Lightweight was just over 2100 lbs, with 210 hp and instant throttle response.

If you meant estoguy's link, that's a very very rare factory hot rod / race car.
              thank you for the reply. i was referring to the orange car in the link you posted above.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

[ATTACH]113348[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]113349[/ATTACH]

Comment

Jeez, those look pretty.

Well, the 991.2 GT3 went live today at Geneva. Porsche bringing the 911R's six-speed manual in as a "no-cost option". Can't wait to see one in the flesh.

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Smart guy - fun to listen to. The incremental engineering changes in the engine are really interesting.

Comment

Valve train without hydraulic lifters that doesn't need adjusting for the life of the engine.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                        Valve train without hydraulic lifters that doesn't need adjusting for the life of the engine.
                        Right?!?! I really hope it turns out to be reliable in practice. Hope it's not one of these "lifetime timing chains" or "10k oil changes" type of thing.

When PMNA was our neighbor at work, they were constantly dyno-ing the 9A1 engine (along with a number of GT3R racers).
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

1957 color Steingrau (Stone grey)

I dig it. Very 50s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steingrau (stone grey) 1957.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	7190263

Comment

Porsche have had a LOT of crappy shit with their engines etc etc in recent years,,
                              also in other 996/997/991 cars,, its about time to stop this and concentrate on PROPER built engines like old days gen,,,, the 996 turbo engine is a matter of fact one of the best EVER,,
                              Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                              ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                              E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

356 Speedsters are even better if you can eat them! (Pm me if you want to buy a set)

Originally posted by Matt-B
                                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                                X