College Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Sound System

So I recently purchased some old Paradigm 3se MKII's and a vintage Sansui au-5900. (I have a small room so it just seemed that giant towers would be a little over kill.) I tested out the Paradigms with my neighbors pos amp and they sounded decent! Later on I might try to get a pre amp and LP player.

Well I just wanted to know what you guys are using for speaker stands and wires. I cant believe how certain wires will cost $50 dollars for 10'. I mean do they serve that much of a noticeable difference?

I figured I could use some speaker wire and solder some banana plugs and then just buy a simple stand like this. What you guys think?
    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money in the wires. Speakers, then amp, then source affect the sound the most IMO.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

depents on climate and stuff like that, then cheap wires will start to hiss, crakle, and pop and all that other good stuff...

You can find better inexpensive wire.. run to home depot and get some cut

Comment

Try and find some "belden 5000up" best cable on a budget. You can wrap it all up in techflex and make it all cool too. Go get some of the individual monster banana connectors. Speakers are never the standard width of regular banana plugs. As far as stands are concerned make some out of MDF. measure your ear height while sitting down and try to come close with the tweeter height.
        Hope this helps and good luck!
        [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

Monoprice.com This will be the end of your cable needs. Tell me what you think?
          i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

Originally posted by Restoman View Post
            QFT, I will never buy cables anywhere else again. There have been tests with their cable against Monster, it performs just as well.
            sigpic

Comment

wow they have good prices! Definitely will check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

stumble: thats what I figured. Shouldn't be too hard. Thanks mate!

Comment

holy shit RCA's are cheap!

Comment

Back in the day there was a big discussion on this site that outdoor extension cable actually blows everything else out of the water for the price. I even seem to remember that there is some symphony conductor who uses it for his projects.
                  1987 325is - sold
                  2001 330i - New DD

Comment

I use basic monster cable for speaker wire and I love them, been using the same wires for about 7 years now (started with my college setup) running a pioneer 500w receiver, and Axiom M22's (amazing speakers, I absolutely love them! relatively cheap too: $500 a pair)
                    stephenbrody.com

Comment

speaker cables are the world's biggest scam, right after global warming
                      i have paradigm's and like them a lot
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Been there. Done that. All the "Specialty cables" are a scam. Buy 12 gauges speaker wire and it will do the job.

Even on my equipement, I don't see the difference between my regular seaker wires and the nice looking and $$$ ones.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by massive lee View Post
                          been there. Done that. All the "specialty cables" are a scam. buy 12 gauges speaker wire and it will do the job.

Even on my equipement, i don't see the difference between my regular seaker wires and the nice looking and $$$ ones.

+1

Comment

and yet SO many of my customers want the big shit...I tell them the stock BMW wire is as good as you can get in a car, unless you go Kimber (which is still the only wire worth a shit).

Gorgeous setup, Mr. Lee.

801F's?

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              801F's?
                              Not B&W Matrix 801 but 1979 Kef 105/2. Got two sets.

The wood set is all original except for all caps in the crossovers having been replaced last week by Solen and Bennic capacitors.

The black set has now been dismantled. All drivers and crossovers are shelved while I am building new cabinets with all-out stiffness being the target (100lbs per cabinet). All inductors to be replaced by 14 gauge air core inductors, and caps by Solen caps.

Power amp soon to be a 200wpc Aragon 4004 Mk2.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Working...
                              X