Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Guitar builders here? EMG techs? Longshot here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hcash
    replied
    Sevenstring.org A lot of people there could help with any other problems you might run into.... Many luthiers post there: Sherman, KxK, Oni, etc. And be sure to check out the ER section... :D

Leave a comment:

• quickervicar
    replied
    ^True! A drop of flux can help matters, too.

Leave a comment:

• Pscheoverdrive
    replied
    Wow. A lot of guitar people here. :)

But, for the pot-issue..... It's b/c you're not heating it enough. Leave the tip of your iron in one spot on the pot for a bit, then drop a bead of solder on it. From that point on, solder all grounds to that bead... I say this b/c you can destroy the pot if you overheat it. So, be careful!

Leave a comment:

• WADE30
    replied
    I have another problem! How come my soldering won't stick to the top of the pots where the pickup's wires go? It is like too smooth or something!

Leave a comment:

• Midnight Sun
    replied
    Originally posted by WADE30 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys! I think I found the culprit, the wire from the volume pot was connected to pin 3 instead of 4. I suck at diagrams.

Exactly what I would say.

Double check all your pins, and make sure your soldering is clean (as mentioned)

I have also had issues with interference from the gold foil that insulates the guitar cavity.. Not sure how though, probably purity issues from using cheap shit.

Leave a comment:

• quickervicar
    replied
    Strat wiring is always confusing. Still better than trying to fold your hand 6 ways to get the harness back in an ES-335 though.

Leave a comment:

• WADE30
    replied
    Thanks a lot guys! I think I found the culprit, the wire from the volume pot was connected to pin 3 instead of 4. I suck at diagrams.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    probably a messed-up switch. Test that it functions as it should with a multimeter.

Leave a comment:

• Chachi
    replied
    i cant open that pdf for some reason but definitely check the soldering or if you soldered the switch backwards or something. my buddy and i learned a lot when we were 16 or so by taking a shitty lotus (SSS coil setup) strat copy and making into an HSH (humbucker, single, humbucker). usually whenever we had a problem it was something silly like a wire soldered to the wrong pin or something on the switch.

Leave a comment:

• shiftbmw
    replied
    http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=133253 << work in progress

How clean is your soldering? That's usually the first thing I check...and it's usually the culprit.

I'm not familiar with EMG's though. How hard is it to register at a luthier forum anyways? http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/

Leave a comment:

• Any Guitar builders here? EMG techs? Longshot here!!

I have been building my own stratocaster replica electric guitar and I am in my final stages of production.

I wired up some EMG Zakk Wylde 81 & 85 pickups and I thought I followed the diagram perfectly but on my 3-way switch only the 2nd and 3rd position produce sound from the guitar but the first setting doesn't.

Anyone know anything about EMG's?

I know this is a longshot of this forum but I don't want to register to any luthier forums.

Thanks Wade

EMG Diagram link Look under 1-Volume 1-Tone 3 way Switch

Working...
X