Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Your Tires!

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

this is crazy. many of you guys have probably known this for a while but, personally i had no idea. makes you think twice about buying tires from tire-rack.
    Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

I hate sites that automatically re-size my browser window.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
      I hate sites that automatically re-size my browser window.
      This.

Comment

wow.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

mmmm Dove chocolate.
          1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

Why would that make you re-think buying tires at tirerack? I would put money on their turnover being better than that of some shithole sears tire center. Also, who wants to buy a tire that was even produced that long ago!?

Comment

I am finding this more of a scare tactic here... 4 years old is not 'brand new'? They ended up being '9 years old'? I have driven lots of cars, I have seen lots of cars. How many are actually blowing up and can be proven 100% that it was the tires age? I have had a brand new tire that was less than 2 years old blow out. I had an 3 year old Yokohama blow out on my slammed vert on the highway at 80mph... Maybe 2 years is the limit?

I find this to be more of a joke and overly scare tactic. Having uninformed couch potatoes in tire shops demanding tires that are 'brand brand new'. When they could have gotten a 3 year old, 4 year old, 5 year old or similar installed and never known the difference and been 100% fine.

"Evidence is all around you every day". Please. "Border on Criminal" roflmao "Cryptic Code" Ever heard of the internet? They make it out like people are intentionally trying to fool people. These are being 'sold as new' and how many are going to have a failure? "Ticking Time Bomb".

Thank the lord! My stretched Fuzions are from 2008! I just checked as I was super worried. Think if they were from say 2005 AND they were stretched. Guaranteed death pretty much! Also to note is that all my Fuzions(328iC), BFG KDW2s(E30) AND wife's Falken Sport Truck Tires(Explorer) are directional tread and ALL DOT MARKINGS including the manufacturer date are on the outside... nothing is 'hiding' on the inside of the tire. Good old 'super investigative reporting'.
              Last edited by dinanm3atl; 12-02-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40 View Post
                Also, who wants to buy a tire that was even produced that long ago!?
                The whole point of his post was that you would have no idea that it was old to begin with. People see it as new even though it is X years old.

I think this goes back to when Ford was having a problem with the Firestone tires. People were all scared of the tires and that Firestone made shitty tires. I think that it all came down to under inflation and just poor personal maintenance of tires, not the manufacture or age.

People need to take better care of their shit and check your tires for problems every so often. And like the above poster said, new tires can blow out just like old ones.
                Last edited by Mike325; 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM.
                Originally posted by cabriodster87
                "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                Originally posted by Kershaw
                i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

When i worked for goodyear, i pounced at buying "old" new tires!

Comment

Eh, age isn't what makes tires dangerous. Bad quality does.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                      Thank the lord! My stretched Fuzions are from 2008! I just checked as I was super worried. Think if they were from say 2005 AND they were stretched. Guaranteed death pretty much! Also to note is that all my Fuzions(328iC), BFG KDW2s(E30) AND wife's Falken Sport Truck Tires(Explorer) are directional tread and ALL DOT MARKINGS including the manufacturer date are on the outside... nothing is 'hiding' on the inside of the tire. Good old 'super investigative reporting'.
                      This whole paragraph is full of win. "Guaranteed death pretty much!" I lol'd.
                      -Erik
                      '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
                      I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

That's funny that "professional" drivers couldn't keep it together with a blown tire.

Wonder how my girlfriend managed to keep her car on the road a few months ago when the tire blew out at 80mph.

Wait, my girlfriend is the next Danica Patrick!
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

wouldn't the tread peel off the tire if the inflation was waaaaay off?
                          http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

It could overheat the tire and focus heat directly on the center of the tread. Could potentially cause problems.

I don't see why this is on the news when I know of 10+ shops selling 'used' tires of various brands/quality for 10, 20 or 30 dollars each out of small little garages. I can't remember the last time I saw myself or saw on the news a wreck that was a tire seperation...

Comment

what you guys are saying may be true but, i still feel better knowing that the "new" tire i just bought is not 9yrs old, even if it does not lead to my death. (speaking of which i have a dream to add to the dream thread.)

and to dinan, i can definitely see what you mean by "media scare tactics".
                              Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

Comment

Working...
                              X