No announcement yet.

L.A. Opera receives bailout of $14m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's 750k in small business grants and loans for my company sound?
    stephenbrody.com

Comment

/facepalm Looks like I should go see the opera soon, seeing as I'm paying for it.
      tasty

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
        Haha Blunt, when you're company makes $20 million a year in revenue and you need 32million to expand, don't come crying to any of us, or the government, or well, anyone for that matter, cuz clearly you're bankrupt and can't sustain yourself, even though you're expanding. Until then, keep clinging to your what 100k..150k..200k a year? Believing that you are better than LA Opera, what a fuckin fool you are.
        Actually, presumably, he would apply to a bank for a loan. A business loan...intended to help a profitable business expand. Presumably, the Opera got denied from such a loan, because they are not profitable. Even the people bailing them out are "granting" the money, not lending it.
        Businesses are typically profitable.
        Arts are typically not.
        /thread
        Originally posted by accident
        I have achieved the title of Douche of the month.
        Discuss.
        Originally posted by kronus
        It was probably pissed off because it didn't want to pay taxes for poor people's healthcare.
        1990 300ZX TT 5spd ($6,000)
        1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

Sounds good :up:
          You should donate it all to an Opera.
          Discuss.
          It was probably pissed off because it didn't want to pay taxes for poor people's healthcare.
          1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by pbr87 View Post
            Actually, presumably, he would apply to a bank for a loan. A business loan...intended to help a profitable business expand. Presumably, the Opera got denied from such a loan, because they are not profitable. Even the people bailing them out are "granting" the money, not lending it.
            Arts are typically not.
            /thread
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

See we can agree on some thing
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Arts are typically not.
              /thread
              While I do agree with you on this aspect, LA Opera was not in the red, despite the numerous loans and lines of credit they took in the past couple years. They still had $14 million in liquid money outside of the $55million in operating costs. So to say that they aren't a profitable company is absurd. The problem, and something I don't excuse them for, is their poor planning. They are spending 32million on a production with only 14 million in liquid assets. So they need a loan immediately to keep them afloat until the see actual returns on the investment and they'll go back to be profitable again. Every expanding business does this. I can guarantee that every single Fortune 500 company has gone into significant debt (after being profitable for many years) in order to expand correctly, they pay off then go back to being profitable. That's all that LA Opera is doing. The reason they went to the city rather than a bank is because they fucked up and needed money asap. It's not like you can get a $14million loan over night.
              stephenbrody.com

Comment

these fuckers better pay, thats all i'm gonna say.

lol.
                1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

is this supposed to impress us fancy boy? go put on some tights and prance around the stage or do whatever you waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffless do
                  We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                  www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

While I do agree with you on this aspect, LA Opera was not in the red, despite the numerous loans and lines of credit they took in the past couple years. They still had $14 million in liquid money outside of the $55million in operating costs. So to say that they aren't a profitable company is absurd. The problem, and something I don't excuse them for, is their poor planning. They are spending 32million on a production with only 14 million in liquid assets. So they need a loan immediately to keep them afloat until the see actual returns on the investment and they'll go back to be profitable again. Every expanding business does this. I can guarantee that every single Fortune 500 company has gone into significant debt (after being profitable for many years) in order to expand correctly, they pay off then go back to being profitable. That's all that LA Opera is doing. The reason they went to the city rather than a bank is because they fucked up and needed money asap. It's not like you can get a $14million loan over night.
                    $32,000,000 for a show is fucking absurd! That's more than UMASS, Amherst spent on it's new rec center, which is 3 stories high and has a sit-down snack-bar area.
                    Discuss.
                    1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

$32,000,000 for a show is fucking absurd! That's more than UMASS, Amherst spent on it's new rec center, which is 3 stories high and has a sit-down snack-bar area.
                      Well here's the thing, The Ring Cycle is 4 separate 3.5 hour operas, Das Rheingold, Die Walkure, Siegfried and Gotterdammerung, so they aren't spending 32 million on one opera (which would be absolutely insane and irresponsible!!). Each opera requires it's own set, You can assume the cast is going to be world class (literally) and will most likely be triple cast (3 singers per role). An average opera production at LA, the Met, La Scala, Houston Grand etc is about 5-7 million each. LA's cycle is definitely more costly than an average production, but when you are creating a production from scratch that is hyped to be the most cutting edge and controversial ring cycle ever, you pretty much expect it to cost a lot. Regardless it doesn't excuse their mismanagement and poor planning of funding.

Blunt-you're thinking of ballet, try and educate yourself with some real culture and find out what an opera is first, before trying to be insulting.
                      stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
                        fuck any company that cant make a profit. they dont deserve shit if they cannot make it on their own. like the auto companies,airlines, amtrak etc etc . let them fail and someone will come in and do a better job or they will fail also. especially a bunch of waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles opera singers.
                        talk about a waste. texasturd will be digging ditches soon and i will throw my big gulp out the window at him as i pass
                        omg, so heartless. that sounds like the principles of free market capitalism. I hear America once was the shining example of that!

Comment

Originally posted by blunt View Post
                          do whatever you waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffless do
                          They sing/warble, mostly.

HTH.
                          Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Well here's the thing, The Ring Cycle is 4 separate 3.5 hour operas, Das Rheingold, Die Walkure, Siegfried and Gotterdammerung, so they aren't spending 32 million on one opera (which would be absolutely insane and irresponsible!!). Each opera requires it's own set, You can assume the cast is going to be world class (literally) and will most likely be triple cast (3 singers per role). An average opera production at LA, the Met, La Scala, Houston Grand etc is about 5-7 million each. LA's cycle is definitely more costly than an average production, but when you are creating a production from scratch that is hyped to be the most cutting edge and controversial ring cycle ever, you pretty much expect it to cost a lot. Regardless it doesn't excuse their mismanagement and poor planning of funding.

Blunt-you're thinking of ballet, try and educate yourself with some real culture and find out what an opera is first, before trying to be insulting.
                            I don't care how many cycles of how many hours of singing it is. $32 million for a show, with only $14 million in liquid capital, in the midst of the worst recession in the last 70 years IS FUCKING STUPID!!
                            Discuss.
                            1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

Working...
                            X