Going to NYC, looking for some advice and insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to NYC, looking for some advice and insight

I haven't been to NYC since, crazy enough, the day before the attacks 09.10.2001. Got back to Dallas, slept, and woke up to the attacks showing on television. Crazy. Anyways.

American Airlines is having a sale and round trip is 164 so I figured I'd take the lady to see the big apple. I won't be staying with anyone this time around and need to book a hotel. Has anyone ever bought a New York Pass or have any insight on it? Can anyone recommend a hotel in Manhattan? Any and all recommendations would be cool.

Either one of the Sheraton's near times square are nice enough. Plus you will be right in the middle of everything. I was there around the holidays and it's a quick walk to Rockefeller center. Caught the today show in the morning and then went to the top of the rock at night for some nice views.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Times Square is always nice to stay around. Right in the middle of things and lots of transportation options..... Nit sure when you will be here but Restaurant week is through Feb 7th....

hth

Anthony

Comment

A lot of the really nice hotels have been turned into condos, much like the rest of Manhattan. The Waldorf is the top of the line, but it's also top of the line in terms of price. You could stay at the Hyatt on 42nd, right near the NYPL and a few blocks away from the madness at times sq. Within walking distance of all the big stops, Grand Central, NYP, NYPL, The Rock, also, you can walk over from 42nd to the overpass at Tudor City, look out over the street and see one of the best semi-street views, right down to the end of the island. Also if they don't have one of their stupid signs hanging in front of the middle window, you can go into the NYPL and if you go up the stairs and walk across the balcony you can see right down to the end of the island through the window. A testament to thoughtful architecture.
        sigpic

Comment

advice: go some place else. it's freezing...:D

hotel around times square will be expensive. i think there is a doubletree on lexington ave. right in front of the waldorf

1991 330is

Comment

Originally posted by stegosaurus View Post
            A lot of the really nice hotels have been turned into condos, much like the rest of Manhattan. The Waldorf is the top of the line, but it's also top of the line in terms of price. You could stay at the Hyatt on 42nd, right near the NYPL and a few blocks away from the madness at times sq. Within walking distance of all the big stops, Grand Central, NYP, NYPL, The Rock, also, you can walk over from 42nd to the overpass at Tudor City, look out over the street and see one of the best semi-street views, right down to the end of the island. Also if they don't have one of their stupid signs hanging in front of the middle window, you can go into the NYPL and if you go up the stairs and walk across the balcony you can see right down to the end of the island through the window. A testament to thoughtful architecture.
            cool info! That's the type of stuff I'm looking for. The insightful somewhat unknown cool things to do. As far as hotels, I'm just looking for a cheap but clean place to crash at. I only plan on being there to sleep. I'm even considering a hotel just barely into Brooklyn. I don't mind a 15-20 min train ride onto the island but being on the island is still more tempting. I found this one hotel31 for $74 a night. It has really good reviews and is at 31st and Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
              cool info! That's the type of stuff I'm looking for. The insightful somewhat unknown cool things to do. As far as hotels, I'm just looking for a cheap but clean place to crash at. I only plan on being there to sleep. I'm even considering a hotel just barely into Brooklyn. I don't mind a 15-20 min train ride onto the island but being on the island is still more tempting. I found this one hotel31 for $74 a night. It has really good reviews and is at 31st and Park.
              Oh if you go the train route and you have to buy a "Metrocard," using it is an art. I know plenty of people that have messed up the timing of swiping/walking through the gate. That said, buy extra "uses" if you go that route. Sometimes if you mess up New Yorkers will help out. Having a hotel outside the city and taking the train in is a good idea...that's what I do with friends/family unless I'm driving right into the city.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
              No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
                Try hotels out on long island, or queens even. As a landmark, the New Hyde Park/Mineola zone is about a half hour train ride from the city. Just hop on the LIRR and you're in Penn station. There's a hotel right next to the station in Mineola I think it's called the Heritage House or something. It's a pretty big station, with Winthrop Hospital right there.

LIRR round trip ticket is something like $13.change off peak. Which reminds me, if you take the LIRR in and out, make sure you check the schedules first to find out when the peak trains run and get your tickets accordingly. www.mta.info has what you need.

Forgot to add, a metrocard and LIRR tickets are two separate things if you choose to go that route. You can use a metrocard for the subway and buses in the city, but traveling LIRR you need to purchase LIRR tickets from an LIRR station.
                sigpic

Comment

let me know when you are coming, we'll go for a drink, R3V style :D

Comment

$164 ? fyck
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Check out hotels in Jersey City. Best views of NYC and only a couple minutes on the PATH. Let me know if you need help with any restaurants.
                      sigpic
                      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

lower east side has lots of good food, theres a great churrascaria(i think i spelled that right) down there, i forget what its called.
                        My feedback:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
                        @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Working...
                        X