Google Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Maps

Is it me or has Google been screwing up their map program on purpose? I just did a route on their site 3 versions, 1hr 40 minutes 2nd 1 hour-58minutes 3rd 2hrs-25minutes I don't want back roads and put HIGHWAY.

It sent me to R.I. to got a town just north of Boston of all places. Couldn't remember where exactly Malden was in reference to MassPike.

Are they getting money to sponsor crap via routing?
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

I have been finding, that they are over estimating the times for some routes (that I know that take less time) to get you to take others that less mileage and slower speed limits, but take up to 40 mins longer. Green agenda, maybe??????
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

I must have forgot to put on my tinfoil hat this morning, because your suggestions are ridiculous.

The way the algorithm works is not precise, because they precalculate routes between major points to save pathfinding time. If you think you know better than Google Maps, place a pointer through where you think the route should go and it'll recalculate a path through that point.

Also, speed limits are often not reflective of actual road speed or road condition, and Maps doesn't yet take advantage of traffic data to plan routes, which makes it even less accurate.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Just saying man, 3 routes I have looked up in the last couple of weeks, to tell other people specifics and way points along the way. Routes that I know take the least amount of time, compared to the other routes that were suggested 1st by google and quote even longer times for the faster route, I have personally traveled both in question so I know which is faster by experience. The ave person that has never done a similar trip wont know any different.

No tin foil hat at all, just a observation is all.
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

They probably grossly overestimate times to save themselves the millions of inevitable complaints that would result from routes taking longer than google says.

'hurrr i was late to my job interview because google said it would only take 20 minutes and it took 45 minutes lolzz durrrrrr omgz'
          Originally posted by LJ851
          I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Ok then put it this way why would I want to drive 138 miles vs 97 miles and 109 miles? Who would drive the 40 extra miles and not gain anything? I could see driving it if it was quicker but it's not even close!

The longer way was 45 miles longer so blow the green agenda out.

Comment

WEird, I haven't had any problems with google maps around my area.

I love Google... oh and they now have street view on whistler. Sweet.
              Originally posted by z31maniac
              I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

If you you try and follow the street, they are in each frame running.

Comment

haha thats silly.
                  I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                  2875-C Towerview Road
                  Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Westfield to Malden, it sends you to Rhode Island? That's a bit out of the way, like 50 miles out of the way. Pike to 128 to 93 would drop you right in Malden. What road was it sending you on to end up in Rhode Island, 146?

Comment

funny norwegians

Comment

I have google maps on my Motorola Droid and its navigation is spot on. I used it with conjunction to my garmin in tons of areas and it was right...I have since stopped using my garmin.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                        No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by BigSam View Post
                          Westfield to Malden, it sends you to Rhode Island? That's a bit out of the way, like 50 miles out of the way. Pike to 128 to 93 would drop you right in Malden. What road was it sending you on to end up in Rhode Island, 146?
                          146 down to 95 then 3 north through the city.

I knew it was northshore just wasn't sure where.

Comment

Working...
                          X