Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here ever get a part replicated by plastic injection molding or another way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody here ever get a part replicated by plastic injection molding or another way?

I'm making the map pockets into speaker pods and if it comes out nice I want to have a mold made and get it replicated. I was just curious about the process and maybe the expense involved? Also if any of you do this let me know or if you know of any good companies. Thanks

Depending on the size and complexity, the mold may cost you around $5k and each part around $15 maybe? Depends on quantities ordered per year. It would help if you had some sort of solid/3d model to send out for quote.

Comment

I would guess your best bet for small run stuff would be fiberglass of some type. I know very little about injection molding - but would love to learn more.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Are you talking about something like this?

Fiberglass would work OK, but the issue is the finish.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yep something like that. I hate seeing holes cut in door panels when adapting the map pocket is such a cleaner way to go. I hope a mold won't cost 5k because it would take a hell of a lot of sets to make that money back. On to more research then.

Comment

Injection molding has a very high start up cost. I was thinking about doing a part for the e30, but after getting a quote and everything, it turned out not to be worth it. 5k is relatively cheap, too. My father's company does a lot of injection molding and he says its 100k+ for the parts that he has made (granted these are probably more complex, however, they are smaller than an entire map pocket).
            sigpic

Comment

Roto molding is much cheaper and small runs can be made. You still need to spend $1k on the aluminum matrix. For a speaker enclosure such as above, fiberglass will be a better alternative.
              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

And you still have to cut: the speaker need the airspace or it will sound like total poop.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

A part like that would have a very large surface area and would need a huge machine with sufficient clamping tonneage.

Not worth it IMO

Comment

I once thought making airboxes with rotational moulding.

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Production will begin soon......hopefully. I won't be going with injection molding, for now because of cost, however I have a guy who will be helping me with molds and also making some using existing map pockets. The plan is for the part that is not taken up by the speaker to be able to house a crossover and yes a hole will need to be cut in the door still but it won't be seen and will look much cleaner.

Comment

You could most likely make this with a vacuform table in your house if you could create a good negative.

Comment

If anyone ever builds these and they aren't STURDY, like 1/4" ABS or better I will shred them.

From what I understand, vacu-form won't do that.

If they are to sound good, they have to be sturdy. A little angle would not hurt, either.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Didn't Jordo make them, and have molds -even ended up selling the molds?
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Fiberglass wouldn't be too difficult. If you have a decent paint gun to spray your gel coat, you should be able to get it fairly smooth afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X