Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with Wild Violet weed experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
    Mike - just yellow spots in your lawn? Too much phosphorus from the urine.

http://www.lifeandlawns.com/2008/03/...lawn-and-turf/

thanks for that link! i grew up with dogs all of my life, but never had problems like this dog is giving me. I honestly never thought it was that simple.

Comment

you should sell that shit!

Comment

why kill it? its very useful as are most of the "weeds" that grow in your yard.

thanks for IDing the sweet little flower i found growing on my grandpas land the other day!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
          thanks for that link! i grew up with dogs all of my life, but never had problems like this dog is giving me. I honestly never thought it was that simple.
          Mike - I have similar yellow spots of dried / dead grass. There are some green shoots in between, and no grubs. I just picked up lime and gypsum, and am going to see which helps - lime was $5, gypsum was $9 for 40lb bag of generic stuff. I'll post up results.

The gypsum is labeled to help with pet or over fertilization damage.

Comment

Some pictures to show the weed and overall lawn care...

This time last year:

The weed in question:

Pictures from today to contrast with last year:

Wild violet is a huge problem in the area I can tell by driving around. Dandelion control is pretty good compared to last year - Weed B gone along with Scott's WeedStop2, etc. applications.

You can tell the property line between my neighbor and I because of the dandelion (and you can notice my new garden boxes.

Originally posted by 87-325ic View Post
            why kill it? its very useful as are most of the "weeds" that grow in your yard.

thanks for IDing the sweet little flower i found growing on my grandpas land the other day!
            How the hell are weeds "useful"? They are a nuisance and compete with my lawn for resources such as sun, water, and nutrients. And they look ugly usually and also don't feel good against bare feet.

Comment

i keep seeing this thread title and thinking it says "wild VIOLENT weed experience".

anyway, atleast its not an ugly weed.

sort of on topic, my folks have a place up in the mountains in eastern tennessee and they have Kudzu up there. it's constantly trying to take over all the buildings and houses up there. its everywhere. they'll leave for a season and come back to see the house covered in it. we have it here, but not as bad. wikipedia that shit if you dont know about it.
              Last edited by lennon; 04-14-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike - update, the gypsum had the best quick response to help green up the yellow spots I had. (too much fert or too much dog piss... same issue of too much salt)

Comment

How the hell are weeds "useful"?
                  ever heard of phyto chemicals?

yeah, thats where 99.9% of new medicines come from. plants.
                  dandelions are some of the most nutritious greens, ever been to a fancy restaraunt, people will pay top $ for some organic dandelion greens in a salad..

now should you go eat your dandelions, No, cause most people yards are a toxic wasteland of fertilizers and pesticides.

and the dandelion is just a single, simple example.

herbs, the better name for most weeds.

Comment

The leaves are more nutritious than anything you can buy. They're higher in beta-carotene than carrots. The iron and calcium content is phenomenal, greater than spinach. You also get vitamins B-1, B-2, B-5, B-6, B-12, C, E, P, and D, biotin, inositol, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc by using a tasty, free vegetable that grows on virtually every lawn. The root contains the sugar inulin, plus many medicinal substances.

Comment

Originally posted by 87-325ic View Post
                      ever heard of phyto chemicals?

yeah, thats where 99.9% of new medicines come from. plants.
                      dandelions are some of the most nutritious greens, ever been to a fancy restaraunt, people will pay top $ for some organic dandelion greens in a salad..

now should you go eat your dandelions, No, cause most people yards are a toxic wasteland of fertilizers and pesticides.

and the dandelion is just a single, simple example.

herbs, the better name for most weeds.
                      Dude, stop smoking your weeds and STFU

Comment

Working...
                      X