Who has WildBlue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has WildBlue?

I am hopefullly gonna be moving out to the country.

We have found a place that is about 50% bigger than what we have now, WAY better insulated, lots of room/trees/wildlife...and most of all a 24x48 shop.

However, there is no internet. Too far from the CO for the DSL, no Sprint 3G, Verizon nor AT&T sell unlimited internet access for PC use, comcast wants $13G to connect from the street to the house, about 1/2 mile.

Gotta do sattelite or point to point microwave.

Anyone have any experience? Dialup is not gonna work for us, we gotta have something decent. No gaming, no movies and such...but is satellite reliable? They "guarantee" their service, but no money back if it goes down, no QoS deals.

Help a brotha make a move here guys, I gotta nail down a plan in the next couple days.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

I was in Afghanistan for a year and the internet was satellite. It was split between about 600ppl and it was about as good as dialup when everyone was using. But if you got on durring off peak hours it worked just like DSL. Not a bad choice at all if you ask me. Might be a little pricey. And as far as no money back if it goes down... the longest it was down over seas was a day and i would hope that we have better service tech's in the states to avoid those kindof blackouts. And with limited options like you have ... Satellite wouldnt be on the bottom of my list.

Comment

we are on microwave where I am at the moment (no not at home we have DSL there) and it has its fits and is about a split between DSL and Dial up. Have to wait a little bit for Youtube to get a little bit of a lead on you.

Have not tried the sat before but know a couple of guys that have it in their 5th wheels they live in 10 months a year at work, and say its great.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

I know the microwave around here is super good. They can get speeds faster than a direct cable speeds. Ask Josh, he installs them.

Comment

you could get an air card and a router that will accept it.
          Wireless WAN and private cellular solutions use 5G and LTE to enable the freedom to connect your enterprise — anywhere.

Comment

We just switched a guy off of WildBlue onto our new WiFi internet, and he hated it (WB). But that's just one guy. His biggest complaint is that it would lose reception anytime the weather got remotely shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMan68 View Post
              you could get an air card and a router that will accept it.
              http://www.cradlepoint.com/
              Nope. Limited bandwidth usage: 5GB/mo, with INSANE overage charges.

I wish someone was piggyback on AT&Ts 3G towers, like Clearwire is on Sprint.

I have HUGE AT&T signal, maybe one of those shit-ass iPhones might actually work out there!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                We just switched a guy off of WildBlue onto our new WiFi internet, and he hated it (WB). But that's just one guy. His biggest complaint is that it would lose reception anytime the weather got remotely shitty.
                hey dude, your phone is ringing

Closing SOON!

Comment

Buy an iphone or android phone, set it up for tethering (have to jailbreak the iphone, easy), enjoy AT&T or whatever phone companies internet on your computers. Just because they don't officially support you doing it doesn't mean you can't do it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by balooshinakus View Post
                    Buy an iphone or android phone, set it up for tethering (have to jailbreak the iphone, easy), enjoy AT&T or whatever phone companies internet on your computers. Just because they don't officially support you doing it doesn't mean you can't do it anyways.
                    Actually, this idea is looking kinda practical...I hear the Android phones are easy to hack and might be fast enough to actually use.

Closing SOON!

Comment

if you have AT&T service couldn't you use the Ipad?

Comment

Originally posted by BigTe30 View Post
                        if you have AT&T service couldn't you use the Ipad?
                        for what?

Closing SOON!

Comment

I'm out in the boon docks on long range wi-fi. It's 802.11 that communicates with a tower on a mountain top about 15 miles away. Love it. Works great.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't want to be tethering all of the time.

Making sure the phone is always connected to the computer just seems like a PITA that I wouldn't want to deal with 100% of the time. (It is nice for the times when you need it, though)

Good luck on your search. I know I've heard nothing but shitty things about clear wire, hopefully you can find something better.
                            Originally posted by z31maniac
                            I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

running sat internet is my current army job... latency (ping time) sucks so no you will not be gaming, and you're gonna learn how to do a peak&hold to get the dish back on the shot because it will fall off, and you will get annoyed with that.

how many computers involved? tethering a phone could work for one, but using windows ICS to try and make it work for more than that would be less than ideal.
                              past:
                              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:
                              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                              X