The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
    Have any of you ridden/owned any pocket bikes? Are they actually fun to own or only cool once in a while? I'm talking about a real like 110cc 4 speed manual, not a 49cc chainsaw engine with wheels. There were a couple of threads on here from like 2004 but no one really shared any opinions.
    I rode one once with a chainsaw sized engine. Thought it was the funnest, dumbest thing in existence. They're like razor scooters with power. i hate steering with microscopic wheels. I'd be much happier on a 75CC dirt bike.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
      I rode one once with a chainsaw sized engine. Thought it was the funnest, dumbest thing in existence. They're like razor scooters with power. i hate steering with microscopic wheels.
      They are more of a stunt, even the ones with bigger engines. A good way to get kids into it but you cant really enjoy riding something that small. A lot of friends bought them, spend money upgrading them and then got bored with them very quickly.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

As far as getting kids into it goes, my grandparents had 3 motorcycles when I was a kid. An XL185S, an XL75, and a smaller one just like it but sized for a toddler. probably 25/50cc, single cylinder, and a legit clutch and trans. I wish I could remember what it was called.

Those were fun, because they were real. I think my grandmother would be horrified to this day if she knew I've been DDing a motorcycle.
        Originally posted by euroshark View Post
        At least you were geared up the right way. I see too many people around here riding sport bikes in shorts and t-shirts... The girl I bought this wreck off of was wearing a helmet when she crashed it in a parking lot, but didn't have any other gear on and she got pretty messed up.
        Speaking of people riding in no gear, I just bought a streetguard 3 outfit. Just waiting for it to show up at the stealership. talk about spendy stuff!

Comment

yeah, gear is expensive, but worth it hah.

I had an old minibike, which was a 1969 Rupp Rascal. It used a 214cc Tecumseh single that I did some work to to get about 10 hp out of it. I used i to get around campus until I got pulled over. The thing would hit 45 mph and was just big enough to not be painful. Tons of fun. Sold it and bought a few real motorcycles shortly afterwards.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Hmm...maybe I'll spend a couple hundred on one if my e30 ends up selling. I'd only get an actual manual...one guy in sac is selling a 140cc 4 speed, he claims he's hit 67 on it and it had more (pretty believable for the engine size). He wants almost $800 though...
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

What? don't sell the e30!

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                What? don't sell the e30!
                Don't worry, I'd immediately get another one :)
                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

After about 4 months of completely rebuilding her, heres my 88 FZR 1000. Bought it for 200 bux, PO said "just needs a clutch" yeaaaaaaa about that haha

basically restored the whole bike, put a new bottom end in it, everything other then the frame and swing arm has been rebuilt or swapped.

im going to be going with a 80s moto GP clone once i get my rear seat cowling and decals etc. Its not perfect by any means, rattle can paint job, but i dont want it to be, i love that fresh off the track, fucked up look

Made out pretty good with coming across a rare FULL titanium yoshi pipe for it, thing sounds NASTY, doesnt sound like a street bike, its awesome

anywho, heres some shots of its progression

more or less how it started, minus the fairings and basket this is how i found her in the woods basically, had sat for 4 years

remember that whole "just needing a clutch" thing? needed more then that

tearing it down, parts bike bought and near by

what i found in the original motors oil pan

nice cleaned head

motor done, ready to be put in

getting it all back together

prepping and painting. i fucking HATE body work

and heres the end result not perfect by any means, but the whole point of building it was to have fun

and what she'll sort of look like once i get some decals on it (it'll have a number 5 on the tail, you know, for 5 valve ;) )

oh and heres a shot of my old cb 500 twin cafe project that i never finished, and my old beloved 02 R1 i had to sell :/

Comment

Hell yeah, love me some big '80s sport bikes! That thing is mean.
                    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                      Hell yeah, love me some big '80s sport bikes! That thing is mean.
                      thanks man! yea she rips haha, i was trying to find myself a 70s CB for a cafe racer, or a big Jap muscle bike from the 80s, so i found this thing.

whats also cool is its called the "Genesis", has the first Delta Box frame, and similar engine to my R1, so its basically an 80s R1, and the name suits it, you know, "In the beginning"

Comment

You guys remember I was building a CB550? Yeah well, I finally got it running and sorted....or at least 98%. This tank is not staying, I have a Supersport tank that is also sanded raw thats drying from a re-seal.

Kind of want to paint the cowl and tank tho. What color should I? Also, ordered some polished trumpets to replace those shitty pod filters. And fuck paying 130 for a K&N kit.

Oh, and I wanna sell my 85 BMW K100RS with 40k~ miles. Any interest?

Comment

Well done sir. I love it when people keep the metal bits raw. Sand down the surface rust and clearcoat it! Keeping the mid-controls are doing rear sets eventually? I'm always jealous of somebody with a cb550 four..is that an r1 brake reservoir?

Originally posted by Ryan...
                          It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by nbio View Post
                            I know some people ride on here, let's see some pictures
                            Here are a few:

I just pulled it out after letting it sit - now that I don't ride a ferry to work
                            I don't need to ride all year round.

It was okay for a few years, but the adventure wore out.

I'll ride it to work tomorrow though - the weather should be perfect.
                            Last edited by Mark 42; 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Well I think I'm finally getting used to my bike. Today I rolled over 2k miles since I bought it. I also scraped up a boot bumper (thank goodness it's a serviceable part! lol) and the center stand in an empty roundabout today. I didn't even think I was leaning that far over, but I guess I was.

Comment

Last bike, 95 Kawasaki Vulcan 800. Just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X